SLK automate group creation?

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
May 15, 2007 at 5:31 PM
Hi all - I'm hoping this can be done, otherwise we won't be replacing portal 2003 any time soon.

At present we have a class server site within our 2003 portal for which I have set up an SQL task to create groups from the school's MIS. I want to move to portal 2007 but as far as I can see from the forums etc the portal won't recognise anything but local users and groups.

Our school is used to a teacher being able to find his/her groups automatically correctly populated for assignments etc and we make extensive use of this.

Any ideas welcome
May 17, 2007 at 11:16 AM

In addition to local users and groups, SLK also supports Active Directory groups and forms-based authentication. One of these mechanisms can be used to create groups from data from the MIS. Check out sample, 'ProvisionFromExcel' and a tool which helps in migration from ClassSever, 'MigrationGuide'.
May 17, 2007 at 3:32 PM
That sounds like the stuff I need, I'm sorry to be stupid but I'm new around here, where can I find these things. I can't see them in Microsoft's site or through Google.

Thanks in advance.
May 21, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Sorry for not being more explicit. I am referring to stuff distributed with SLK. You can find these in the SLK release or the latest source code. In the latest source code (download latest changeset from 'Source Code' tab on this page),

ProvisionFromExcel - Location in the source tree: SLK\Slk\Samples - This is a sample which reads user and other provisioning information from an excel sheet and creates the corresponding configuration on the SLK server. You could extract your MIS data into an excel sheet and use this sample to populate them in SLK or alternatively modify it to perform your task

MigrationGuide - Location in the source tree: SLK\Slk\Tools - This includes a set of tools to help migration from Class Server to SLK. A good place to start with this tool is with the included documentation (present in the doc folder within this directory). This guide seems to require that Class Server users are either AD group users or local users and wonder if it'll be helpful for your task. I am not sure about this however. The documentation will have info on this.

Hope these are of help.