Hosting SLK!

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
May 17, 2007 at 6:52 PM
Our school is researching commercial LMS vs. SLK......

My questions are:
To host SLK is it better to use WSS3 or MOSS?

If we want to turn SLK into a more robust LMS is it better to use MOSS? Has anyone build a
LMS with SLK? Are there commercial LMS for MOSS?

So many things to think about as we make our decision..... any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Mel
mfisher@ouhsd.org

May 18, 2007 at 8:43 PM
Try these guys... http://www.solutionsit.com.au/

They have've an LMS built on SharePoint for years. It has alot of great features. It's primarily geared towards K-12 though (not sure what you're interested in).

Mike
mhourahine@appleby.on.ca
May 25, 2007 at 11:08 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the feedback... I will contact them....

also I have a question on the config SLK page..... I am getting an error when the page tries to create the new database... I have sql2005 std. sp1!

the site collection is pointed to my root sharepoint URL...

where can I find soltions to issues like this? this forum?? sorry I am new to all the sharepoint/SLK stuff...

Thanks again
mel
oroville adult school
mfisher@ouhsd.org
May 26, 2007 at 4:22 AM
Hi Mel!

This forum is a great place to ask questions that you think a developer should answer. This is intended as a technical forum, so your questions are appropriate here. If you wanted to know who sold SCORM 2004 content for 5th grade math, or where you could get a free reporting web part for SLK, that question would belong on http://www.LearningGateway.net. (just got a major face-lift today actually!)

Regarding MOSS vs WSS, Thanks to the integrated architecture of SharePoint 2007, WSS is effectively incorporated into MOSS 2007. SLK works equally well with both (though the extended feature set of MOSS 2007 does help you build more useful workflows around learning object collaboration, storage and searching.)

Regarding the database error: make sure the account you are using (that SharePoitn and SLK are using) has sufficient permissions to create the DB in SQL.

--Mike
May 27, 2007 at 11:16 PM
Mike,

Thanks for the feedback... I am new to using Sharepoint and SLK but see a great growth in it just like the Dotnetnuke (DNN) has experienced!

I have been going through the "getting started SLK" and so far so good...I just added the Assignment list web part (page 9) and realized that my default root for sharpoint (//websrv) still shows the default MOSS07 template??? I thought that the SLK once deployed as a solution would change the template to include all the parts of the SLK and not have to add them piece by piece like I did with the assignment list web part??

Not sure if this makes sense? The reason I ask this is that the assignment list web part is suppose to be on the left part webzone and my default MOSS07 template only has a right pane zone.... Did I miss something in the SLK install???

Thanks again!!
Mel
Oroville Adult Education
Mar 26, 2008 at 10:07 PM
Hello
I would like to let you know that SharePointLMS for MOSS2007 and WSS3.0 is being supported by Microsoft Education around the world - so please take a look at this advanced LMS here:

www.sharepointlms.com

Thanks