SQL Permissions - What's Best?

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
May 21, 2007 at 12:38 PM
Hi,

I'm using "The Security Principle of Least Privilege" way of working with MOSS2007, i.e. everything running under it's own accounts.

When I installed the SLK the "SharePointLearningKit" database was created with the owner being listed as "MOSS-Farm-Svc" account. However when I try to use the SLK I get the following error:

• Cannot open database "SharePointLearningKit" requested by the login. The login failed.
  • Login failed for user 'MOSS-SSP-AppPool'

I.E. the database is trying to be accessed under a different account whos permissions wern't automatically set up in SQL.

Could someone in the know please advise me of what permissions etc. I need to assign within MSSQL2005 for the SSP-AppPool account? I could obviously give that account some form of complete admin access, but before I did I wanted to check if that was what was needed, or if I could create the account with less / more tailored permissions.

Many thanks,

Steve
Jun 25, 2007 at 10:29 PM
Open the SharePointLearningKit database on SQL Server
Expand Security
Right click Users and select Add New User
Login name: DOMAIN\SPContentPool
Default schema: dbo
Owned schemas: db_Owner
Role members: db_Owner

I had the same problem and this fixed it for me.
Good luck!
Patrick
Jun 26, 2007 at 9:08 AM
Hi Patrick

Thanks for your post... most helpful, all working nicely now thanks! :-)

Cheers,

Steve
Jul 4, 2007 at 2:04 PM
I have a very basic question. We use remote SQL, meaning that SQL Server and the DB is on another server than the MOSS 2007 Server. Is remote SQL supported? Thanks
Jul 4, 2007 at 6:06 PM
Edited Jul 4, 2007 at 6:06 PM
Yep, definitely works... that's exactly how I've got it set up.

Cheers,

Steve