Assignment List Web Part not in the list of web parts

Topics: Project Management Forum, User Forum
Jun 1, 2007 at 4:29 PM
I have gone through the getting started guide step by step, and I can not get past step 5 in section 3.2.3 (bottom of page 9) because the Assignment List Web part is not in the list of web parts. All other steps in the installation have been successful. Does anyone know why this web part would not be listed? The previous step was to activate the SharePoint learning kit as a feature. SharePoint learning kit was listed as a feature and I have successfully activated it.

I am very new to SharePoint, so I could easily be missing something.
Jun 4, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Hi Eric,

If it doesn't show up in the populated list in the webpart gallery page, try the 'New' button on that page to add it to the list.

Jun 4, 2007 at 3:43 PM
I have already checked that area as well. The web part is not listed in either place.

Right now I an trying to figure out if it is not working because of the cmd files. It looked as if everything ran ok when I processed them, but maybe a path was off on one of them. Will the DeploySolution work if AddSolution was not successful?
Jun 6, 2007 at 12:53 AM
Nope, definitely shouldn't be able to deploy a solution that wasn't added.

Sounds like that is where you should start. Is there anything special about your environment?
Jun 7, 2007 at 8:59 PM
Well, I'm working on a test server and all of SharePoint is installed on the one server, including SQL. I do not have it set up as a farm.

On Tuesday I decided to remove SharePoint and start over because I was having so many problems. After that Windows would not boot up again. It would go through the boot sequence, and it would get to where the windows server status bar was scrolling, but then it would cycle and reboot itself. Anyway, I had to spend all day Wednesday rebuilding the server with a fresh install of Windows, SQL Server, the service packs, and SharePoint.

Today I finally got to the point to where I was going to add in the SLK. Everything goes fine until I try to configure the SLK. I am still getting the "CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database master" error.

Has anyone tested this with SQL SP2. that just came out about two weeks ago. Maybe that is causing problems for me.
Jun 8, 2007 at 1:25 AM
I tried the same think that philnick tried in the post titled 'Database Permissions on Master' and I was finally able to configure the SLK on the sharepoint site collection. I am now back to my original problem, which is the fact that the web part does not show up in the list of new web parts to add.

In the getting started guide it shows only about 9 web parts. I have roughly 50 web parts already active and about 120 web parts to choose from after clicking the 'new' button. Does anyone have any idea why I have so many web parts, but then don't have the Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.WebParts.AssignmentListWebPart

There is one more thing that seems odd. I can activate the SLK on individual sites, but then SharePoint basically forces me to go to the site collection page to even view the web parts. (I have to click Go to top level site settings under Site Collection Administration). I tried activating the SLK at the site collection level since I can only view the web parts at that level, but that didn't work either.
Jun 8, 2007 at 2:31 AM
Eric,

I had the same problem with not seeing the web part initially.

I have two applications:
http://slktp
http://slktp:81

On 81 I didn't see the ASWP when I went to the Web Part gallery and clicked New. Upon further investigation, I saw I hadn't deployed SLK to that application. I went to Central Admin > Ops > Solution Management and deployed it to 81. I was then able to add the web part.

Also, with regards to the other issue...the web parts are managed at the site collection level. So it is not odd that you have to go up to the top level site settings to manage these.
Jun 8, 2007 at 3:21 PM
That did it!! Thank you so much. I have been working on that for about two weeks (Most of it was installing and re-installing stuff). It probably would have helped if I knew SharePoint but I am new to both SharePoint and the SLK.

Thanks again!