"Newbie Alert" - Basic Questions

Topics: User Forum
Jul 2, 2007 at 8:58 PM
Edited Jul 2, 2007 at 9:47 PM
Our IT department has installed SharePoint and (I was told) SLK. They are in the process of converting our existing Intranet into SharePoint. We also plan to use SLK to manage our companies LMS of employment training. I will eventually be responsible for the management of the LMS, but not the development of it. Because our IT department is so backlogged, I don't know when they'll get around to the LMS. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Here are some very basic questions...
#1. How do I know SLK has been installed? Does the "Assignments and Events" List alone tell me that? Is there more I should be looking for.
#2. Throughout these discussion boards, I've seen references to Solitaire and GettingStarted.pdf. Should I have access to these from inside SP or would I need to access them (and any other posssible tutorial that exists out there) from exploring the server SLK was installed on?
#3. Does anyone know if there is a book I can buy on SLK? I've googled my little fingers off and I can't find anything.
#4. I'll be needing to create on-line quizzes. Is the best process for this to create an InfoPath form then load it in assignments using create new? Or, can I use Captivate. I like the Quiz tool Captivate has as well as the visual look and audio options over Infopath.

Thanks in advance for any answers anyone can provide.
Jul 2, 2007 at 11:50 PM
dozzee,

Maybe I can help because our company is doing the same thing with the SLK. We are going to use if for company training, not classroom training like most of the people posting on this site.

#1. How do I know SLK has been installed? Does the "Assignments and Events" List alone tell me that? Is there more I should be looking for.

If you have site editing rights then you should be able to tell if the SLK has been installed. Go to 'Site Actions' in the top right corner of the page that the SLK should be installed on. If you do not see that tab then you probably don't have permissions to edit the site. If you do see it then click 'Site Actions' and then 'Site Settings'. From there choose 'Site Features' under the 'Site Administration' column. In the list of site features you should see SharePoint Learning Kit listed, with a blue box that says 'active'.
If you don't have site editing rights then go to the site where the SLK should be installed. You should see a 'My Assignments' area with a table of assignments that are 'active', 'ready to grade', 'overdue', 'due today', etc. Also, you should be able to go in to a document library and click the down arrow next to a document. If you see 'E-Learning Actions' in the drop down then you know that SLK has been installed.

#2. Throughout these discussion boards, I've seen references to Solitaire and GettingStarted.pdf. Should I have access to these from inside SP or would I need to access them (and any other posssible tutorial that exists out there) from exploring the server SLK was installed on?
These are not in SP. These files are most likely on the server that the SLK was installed on. However, you could download them to your computer, extract the zip and then look over the getting started guide. It is a PDF and will help you to have an understanding of what's going on. You won't be able to install anything on your local computer though, buecause all that stuff has to be installed on the web server that hosts the SharePoint web site.

#3. Does anyone know if there is a book I can buy on SLK? I've googled my little fingers off and I can't find anything.
No book that I know of. Just these discussion forums. There are plenty of books on SharePoint though. Once you learn SharePoint then the SLK really is pretty easy.

#4. I'll be needing to create on-line quizzes. Is the best process for this to create an InfoPath form then load it in assignments using create new? Or, can I use Captivate. I like the Quiz tool Captivate has as well as the visual look and audio options over Infopath.
I'm not sure on this one. InfoPath forms might work, but there are tools out there to create SCORM compliant courses. Microsoft is also creating a tool called Grava, or something like that. I haven't created a course yet so I'm not real sure how the process works. I think you create the course in your authoring tool and then upload it just like you upload a document to a document library. Once you have uploaded the SCORM course then it is avaliable to assign to people. If you find a good authoring tool, especially if it is free, then please let me know.

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:39 PM
Hi Eric,

Thank you so much. I do have editing rights and I was able to confirm that SKL is installed. I'll have to ask IT for access to the tutorial files. I'm going to get started on figuring out how to create my first e-course. If I have success with any particular authoring tool, I will be sure to pass it along. Thanks again for all your help.

Dozzee
Jul 6, 2007 at 3:02 AM
Any tool that creates SCORM 1.2 or SCORM 2004 compliant content should create content that works in SLK. Just upload the resulting ZIP into a document library on a site that has SLK activated and you can assign it to yourself to try it out.

Regarding Solitaire. You can find it in the samples in the install download from the source tab on this site. Again, you can upload the sample to your document library to try it out.
Jul 6, 2007 at 2:35 PM
Thanks Mark,

I was able to install Solitaire, but we're running on a 64-bit platform and I'm waiting for IT to run the update. Also, I just discovered yesterday by reading through the message boards that prior to last month, SLK wasn't picking up the scoring from the various authoring tools. I thought I had been doing something wrong. I've asked my IT department to load the newest version put out in June and then keep my fingers crossed that everything works.

If you don't mind, I do have a question for you. Is there an advantage to running e-learning material from a ZIP file?

Thanks Again! Dozzee