SQL Error Configuring SLK through Central Admin

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jul 3, 2007 at 4:23 PM
Good morning! I am loading SLK on a VPC. When I use Central admin to configure SLK I get the following error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

The instructions say to accept the configuration as is

I check SQL and activated both TCP/iP and Named Pipes and restarted the service. No luck. I don't see a place in SQL to allow remote connections.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Jul 6, 2007 at 2:54 AM
There are a few postings on this if you search for the error in the discussion forum. There may be information already posted to help you with this.

I think this usually happens if you are using an incompatible version of SQL. Are you sure you aren't using the WSS SQL engine or an older version of SQL? You need to create the SLK database on SQL 2005. If you have installed SQL express then in the database field in the SLK config page use SQLEXPRESS\SharePointLearningKit rather than just SharePointLearningKit. Similar if SQL 2005 isn't your default SQL engine <EngineName>\<DBName>.
Jul 20, 2007 at 8:55 AM
Hi, this issue can also be caused by the naming convention of your SQLServer instance, check it out on the Central Administration site. In my case, the value of the SQLServer name on that view was something like "COMPNAME" whereas my SQLServer engine is called "COMPNAME\OFFICESERVERS". Changing the value on the Central Admin view to "COMPNAME\OFFICESERVERS" solved the issue and I was able to configure SLK without problems.

HTH!