TOC and Auto-start

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Aug 7, 2007 at 6:50 PM
Someone has already posted a question similar to this earlier, and no one replied, so I thought I would bring it up again. Is there a way to auto-start content? Some content does automatically start for us (e.g. Presenter), but Camtasia files need to have the seconf TOC item, which reads identical to the first, to begin playing. The message is presented to the user: Please select an Activity...

Additionally, is there any way to auto-hide the Table of Contents? Most of our content has it's own TOC, so we don't need to use the SLK built-in one. Is this code anywhere? We are preparing to launch to our users very soon, so if someone could assist, I'd appreciate it.
Aug 13, 2007 at 7:16 AM
SCORM 2004 content can automatically start if the sequencing on the organization has flow set to true. By default in SCORM, flow is false, which means the user must select the first activity to start. I think for most training content it makes sense to flow to the first activity automatically, but some content creators haven't put in the 2004 sequencing yet to make that happen.

For any content you have, you should be able to modify the imsmanifest.xml file in the root of the SCORM 2004 package to add the proper sequencing. In the sequencing node of the organization add the following: <imsss:controlMode flow="true" />. You can take a look at the Solitaire example content to see how this works.

I can't remember exactly, but I don't think SCORM 2004 2nd edition has a way to auto-hide the TOC. I know there are ways to hide the flow navigation buttons (next/previous), but I don't think we currently have a way to hide the TOC programatically. Vandana may be able to confirm, but I think this might be in the 3rd edition SCORM 2004 spec.
Aug 13, 2007 at 7:12 PM
Thanks for the response--I will try the auto-start fix for sure.

Regarding the TOC hiding, I see all the toc stuff in the templates folder (Program Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\Template\Layouts\SharePointLearningKit\Frameset), so would it be possible to modify the default template that occurs to open the navclosed.aspx template instead of the navopen.aspx? I'm not a coder, so I'm really flying by the seat of my pants here.

Thanks!
Jan 21, 2008 at 10:31 PM
bump...

grapaslingo I am also wondering the same thing. Our content is not specifically authored in scorm 2004 and we have an integrated TOC and navigation, I would like to remove the frameset all together including the top frame.

Anyone has best practice decisions other then just commenting out the whole frameset?

Thank you!
Jan 24, 2008 at 5:38 PM
Alrighty, (Program Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\Template\Layouts\SharePointLearningKit\Frameset) navigate there and just edit the MainFrames.aspx page and just change the Frameset cols to 0 on ID=FramesetParentUI

That worked perfect for me.
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2008 at 4:46 PM
:-) This seems a little like swatting a fly with a shotgun to me.

Would someone volunteer to go through the SCORM 2004 spec and see if there's an element that can be used to hide the TOC?
Apr 11, 2008 at 12:17 AM
Edited Apr 11, 2008 at 12:24 AM
It might be yes,

but in Scorm 2004 you can hide navigation buttons in the menu or inside a SCO, Launch SCO's from another SCO & from one navigation.

I'm not that familiar with scorm 2004 just 1.2 and we always author in 1024x768 and 99% of the time use the entire browser window.

I see commands to hide buttons if using integrated navigation but I'm sure the frameset stays, hence my work around.

EDIT: (Didn't even notice that above me MarkKnight stated the same thing I just read in the scorm 2004 manual.)
Jul 23, 2008 at 7:01 PM
Just a heads up on the autostart fix:
We are using Articulate Quizmaker for some of our quizzes and in the imsmanifest.xml file the default entry is:
<imsss:controlMode choice="true" flow="true" />
One MUST either remove the choice variable completely or set it to "false" for autostart to work.

As for getting rid of that nasty TOC frame:  in a corporate environment jacking around with the MainFrames.aspx on the server is not a viable option.  Ideally this would be an option that could be set in the manifest, but it just is not so.  Hopefully this could be added to future releases of the SLK, whenever that may be.

Maybe it's just me, but does this project not quite have that typical 'Open Source' open feel to it?  But that's another topic...

-Baden
Feb 16, 2010 at 10:42 PM

I'm using Adobe Captivate and am unable to get a single-sco course to auto-start by modifying the imsss:controlMode as suggested above. Does anyone know how to fix the auto-start in Captivate?

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:52 PM

@sschwartz -  I have a Captivate generated single-sco course which autostarts.  The key is that the controlMode element must be applied to the organization, not the item.  My imsmanifest.xml looks like this (in part)

<organizations default="SkillLinkExcel12003_ORG">
  <organization identifier="SkillLinkExcel12003_ORG">
   <title>SkillLink Excel 1 2003</title>
   <imsss:sequencing>
     <imsss:controlMode choice="false" flow="true"/>
   </imsss:sequencing>   
   <item identifier="SCO_SkillLinkExcel12003" isvisible="true" identifierref="SCO_SkillLinkExcel12003_RES">
    <title>SkillLink Excel 1 2003</title>
    <imsss:sequencing>
     <imsss:objectives>
      <imsss:primaryObjective objectiveID="PRIMARYOBJ" satisfiedByMeasure="true">
       <imsss:minNormalizedMeasure></imsss:minNormalizedMeasure>
      </imsss:primaryObjective>
     </imsss:objectives>
    </imsss:sequencing>
    <adlcp:dataFromLMS>.</adlcp:dataFromLMS>
    <adlcp:timeLimitAction>exit,message</adlcp:timeLimitAction>
   </item>
  </organization>
 </organizations>

I modified the Captivate provided imsmanifest by adding the <imsss:sequencing> element to the <organization> element. 

Note that an earlier post said you could remove the choice attribute completely or set it to false for autostart to work.  I don't think that removing the attribute would work as the default in SCORM2004 3ed is true.  Unless I have misinterpreted the standard, which is entirely possible :-)

Hope that makes sense.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Thanks, Paul, can't wait to try this!

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:19 AM

FWIW the <item> element has an 'isvisible' attribute which Captivate sets to true by default.  I have changed it to false so that the table of contents only shows the name of the organization and does not have the item appear as a child of the organization, a little bit neater.

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:13 PM

Thanks so much for the insight, I think this will greatly improve the user's first impression when a course is started. Now to improve the look of those clunky frames...