Can I track a non-elearning class through SLK?

Topics: User Forum
Aug 27, 2007 at 3:29 PM
Some of our employee training is e-learning and some is classroom forum. I've used the classroom management template to create classroom courses in a calendar. Is it possible to have these courses tracked in SLK directly. I know I can create a non-e-learning document that could represent the course, but that would be an extra step that I'd like to skip if at all possible. Could someone let me know if courses created outside the e-learning environment can be tracked in SLK? Thx, Dozzee
Oct 23, 2007 at 2:25 PM
We are also deploying the classroom management template and looking to do the same. If anyone has any input, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Ray
Oct 24, 2007 at 3:32 PM
What exactly are you trying to track? Participation in discussion forums?

Thanks,

Jason Welch
Education Technology Practice Manager
NuSoft Solutions, Inc.
www.nusoftsolutions.com
Oct 25, 2007 at 1:18 PM
We're in the process of designing a solution that would enable admins to create and assign both elearning courses and instructor led courses. We're looking to associate not only files (such as agendas) to instructor led classes, but also link in course discussions and additional activities (such as assessments created with SCORM authoring tools.) Users would also have the ability to self-enroll in courses through a learning catalog list.

It looks like we're going to be using a combination of the Classroom Management and Employee Training Scheduling and Materials templates, in conjuction with the SLK. It's still a bit early in the process, I'll post the process as we move forward.

Cheers,

Ray

JasonWelch wrote:

Thanks,

Jason Welch
NuSoft Solutions, Inc.
www.nusoftsolutions.com

Oct 25, 2007 at 2:42 PM
We're looking to do basically the same thing. We wouln't be using discussion boards, but we have e-learning and group training. We're currently using SLK for the e-learning and Employee Training and Scheduling site template to schedule and classes. We're not yet using SCORM, SLK is providing us a record of training and we'd like to get the record (db) to house the group training as well.

In addition, it would be really nice if the Employee Training and Scheduling tool allowed 3rd-party registration. We're a trucking company and our drivers need to be scheduled into group training and currently there's no way for a Manager to register an employee into a ET&S created course. Our workaround fix has been to have the manager log in as the driver to register them. Is there anyone else who would like to see that function added? Thanks! Dozzee
Oct 27, 2007 at 1:41 AM
The cool thing about SLK is that you control the scope of a group of learners thru the permissions you allow in SharePoint. A "class" can be 10,000 people taking the same course - or it can be 15 kids (learners) who are all members of the same class site that represent a single section of a course that is taught 6 times a day. Within the scope that you define, you can have any of the ancillary/supporting functionality that SharePoint allows.

For Instructor Led courses some things to think about are:
-clearly define what consitutes "enrollment" and where this data comes from. You don't want to manually administrate if you have more than a few courses.
- develop/employ a provisioning model that ensures that:
* your provisioning tool creates the proper site containers for the content you want to offer. I suggest creating site templates that contain the
functionality a particular course requires (be it discussions, document libraries, SLK, calendars, whatever), and is smart enough to use the right
template for each course
* the users you want to be members (learners) for a given course or section are provisioned with the correct permissions - to each functional element
of the template. For example, if you want a discussion forum as part of a course site template, your learners will need to be able to post content to
that forum. That does not mean that they will have contribute rights to other elements of the template - like a resource library that
contains documents that are provided by the instructor.
* Site permissions are update as enrollment changes
* You can re-use site templates with content that instructors have supplied. Nothing will turn teachers off faster if they have to rebuild a site every
time

For Self-Enrollment:
- This gets a little more complicated as you need to provide a registration mechanism that handles the necessary provisioning, and if the courses are not
instructor-led, you may need to consider building in a little more intelligence around defining "learning paths" toward the course objective (i.e., learn this
stuff, then take this assessment - once achieved, now learn this stuff and take this assessment). I would think that reporting and administrative features
are more important here as well....

I don't know how useful this is - or if I am even understanding your goals clearly. If you have questions as you go along, ping me. Good news is that there will be more tools coming to facilitate some of the things you want to do.

Jason Welch
NuSoft Solutions, Inc.
www.nusoftsolutions.com

r2wheeler wrote:
We're in the process of designing a solution that would enable admins to create and assign both elearning courses and instructor led courses. We're looking to associate not only files (such as agendas) to instructor led classes, but also link in course discussions and additional activities (such as assessments created with SCORM authoring tools.) Users would also have the ability to self-enroll in courses through a learning catalog list.

It looks like we're going to be using a combination of the Classroom Management and Employee Training Scheduling and Materials templates, in conjuction with the SLK. It's still a bit early in the process, I'll post the process as we move forward.

Cheers,

Ray

JasonWelch wrote:

Thanks,

Jason Welch
NuSoft Solutions, Inc.
www.nusoftsolutions.com