SLK Failure - AssignmentWebPart and assigning lessons

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 17, 2007 at 3:06 PM
I have an SLK installation that was working fine. Now for reasons unknown any page that uses the AssignmentWebPart, gets a generic "An error has occurred..." message and generates the event shown below in the event log. The same error occurs when attempting to assign a new lesson.

Note: We have already deployed many lessons and have students working in them. I'm not sure what has changed.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 17/09/2007
Time: 9:53:30 AM
User: N/A
Computer: APPSP01
Description:
SharePoint Learning Kit Error

Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E14 ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040E14): Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E14
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetAllRolesForCurrentUser(String bstrUrl, Guid guidScopeId, UInt32& pdwRowCount, Object& pvarRoleData)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetAllRolesForCurrentUser(String bstrUrl, Guid guidScopeId, UInt32& pdwRowCount, Object& pvarRoleData)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetAllRolesForCurrentUser(String bstrUrl, Guid guidScopeId, UInt32& pdwRowCount, Object& pvarRoleData)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurableObjectImpl.get_AllRolesForCurrentUser()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_AllRolesForCurrentUser()
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkStore.IsInstructor(SPWeb spWeb)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkStore.EnsureInstructor(SPWeb spWeb)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkStore.GetNewAssignmentDefaultProperties(SPWeb destinationSPWeb, String location, Nullable`1 organizationIndex, SlkRole slkRole, LearningStoreXml& packageWarnings)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AssignmentPropertiesPage.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Many thanks for any help,
Mike
Sep 18, 2007 at 4:04 AM
Edited Sep 18, 2007 at 4:04 AM
Here's another error that occurs while trying to render the Assignment list webpart. Both seem to start at the IsInstructor method. There is no problem rendering the same webpart with LearnerQuerySet.

SharePoint Learning Kit Error

Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E14 ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80040E14): Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E14
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetAllRolesForCurrentUser(String bstrUrl, Guid guidScopeId, UInt32& pdwRowCount, Object& pvarRoleData)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurableObjectImpl.get_AllRolesForCurrentUser()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_AllRolesForCurrentUser()
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkStore.IsInstructor(SPWeb spWeb)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.WebParts.AssignmentListWebPart.SetQuerySetOverride()
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.WebParts.AssignmentListWebPart.SetAlwpProperties(Int32& cols)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.WebParts.AssignmentListWebPart.RenderAssignmentList(HtmlTextWriter htmlTextWriter)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.WebParts.AssignmentListWebPart.RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter writer)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Sep 18, 2007 at 10:30 AM
Edited Sep 18, 2007 at 10:30 AM
Mike,

Have you performed any updates/security fixes to your environment?

This article details reasons for the 0x80040E14 error and I assume from this the problem is not due to the IsInstructor but more a consequence of it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841216

Andrew
Sep 18, 2007 at 5:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestion... I forced the upgrade process according to the KB article but unfortunately it didn't help.

I discovered this morning that this problem is only affect our Administrators who are "Instructors" in every course. Those teachers that only have access to one course are not having the problem.

Any other ideas?
Dec 25, 2007 at 11:51 AM
I also got the same issue, i had investigated on the SLK code, and i found that the issue is related to SharePoint rather than SLK, i also used the same code in a custom webpart and it gives the same exception, the exception is thrown when you call (SPWeb.AllRolesForCurrentUser) propery of the SPWeb object.

Any ideas what is the reson for it? i read some articles that mention that this may be due to a database locks or DB size limitation
Jan 2, 2008 at 7:11 AM
i had overcome the issue by writing custom code and append it to the SLK. I get the result returned by SPWeb.AllRolesForCurrentUser using another way that do not give an exception.
The code is tested and is working fine.

If you are interested in the code, don't hesitate to contact me.
Coordinator
Jan 2, 2008 at 5:54 PM
If you wanted to submit a patch and describe what the cause of the problem is and what you changed to fix it, I'll take a look at it.
Jan 3, 2008 at 7:32 AM
i uploaded a patch no.# 646, please have a look at it.
Jan 6, 2008 at 3:23 AM
Thanks, priad! I've been working around this problem since October so it would be great to have a fix for it.

Jay: Has this been submitted as a bug? I had tried the same thing priad had (with a custom webpart) and got the same error so I figured it was a SharePoint thing. However, nothing else seems affected by it. Let me know what is decided about this. Either way I would like the fix.

Thank you both!
Jan 7, 2008 at 5:28 PM
I have the same problem but have a little more information for you.
I have 12 sharepoint applications sites on my server. I have the same error message on only 1 of the site applications. If I go to another site application it works fine.

My SharePoint is set up of 12 site applications - 11 sites and 1 my site all within the same SSP - and they all use the same SLK database.

Alex
Jan 10, 2008 at 8:09 AM
apearce: i think it is related to the content DB of each web application, i have used the SQL Profiler, and i had a look on the select statments used when the AllRolesForCurrentUser is called and found them different from one webapplication (Working) and other that do not works.

Jan 10, 2008 at 3:30 PM
Edited Jan 10, 2008 at 3:32 PM
x
Feb 5, 2008 at 8:09 PM
Has anything happened on this issue? Was there a decision made or does anyone have a permanent fix?

I've just upgraded to the latest version (1.3.0.2) and I still have the same problem.

I would like to, at least, get a copy of the patch referred to earlier by priad.
Coordinator
Feb 5, 2008 at 10:44 PM
Sorry, I'm falling behind here. I apologize, but I'm in the middle of a release cycle at work and my spare time to integrate changes like Priad's patch has been rare. I'll get back on it here in 1-2 weeks when some time frees up.
Feb 6, 2008 at 3:07 AM

JayBeavers wrote:
Sorry, I'm falling behind here. I apologize, but I'm in the middle of a release cycle at work and my spare time to integrate changes like Priad's patch has been rare. I'll get back on it here in 1-2 weeks when some time frees up.

I feel for you Jay. Keep up the great work. You've made a huge difference since you've been around. :) The fix would be appreciated once you can get to it. Is there a way for me to download this patch in the meantime?
Feb 6, 2008 at 3:18 AM
Edited Feb 6, 2008 at 3:19 AM
Coordinator
Aug 25, 2008 at 11:19 PM
Priad's patch is located on the patch page at http://www.codeplex.com/SLK/SourceControl/PatchList.aspx

I'm putting together the 1.3.1 RC right now, I'll take a quick look at this patch and see if I can get it into this release.
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2008 at 1:13 AM
I created issue 18097 and I've uploaded a tentative fix for it based on Priad's patch.  This tentative fix will be in the 1.3.1 RC but I do not have a reproducable test case to test against so I'll be relying upon the community to tell me whether the fix hit the mark.

- jcb
Jun 8, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Hi There

Please help is there somthing with the webpart after installing SLK ?

My Assignments

An error occurred. More information may be available in the server event log.

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:19 PM
Let me know what you are trying to do

Jay

To: [email removed]
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 06:29:52 -0700
Subject: Re: SLK Failure - AssignmentWebPart and assigning lessons [SLK:15251]

Hi There
Please help is there somthing with the webpart after installing SLK ?

My Assignments

An error occurred. More information may be available in the server event log.

Hotmail® has ever-growing storage! Don’t worry about storage limits. Check it out.
Coordinator
Jun 10, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Have you looked in the server's event log?

Richard

SLK Co-ordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Feb 10, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I am getting the same error here (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E14), but the weird thing is that it's only happening inside the "Relevant Documents" web part. I have checked SQL logs, disk space, and have run the stsadm -o upgrade -forceupgrade, but nothing seems to help. No errors in the event logs on either the SQL or WSS servers Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance,

Vinny

Coordinator
Feb 16, 2010 at 11:29 PM

I blogged about the cause of the issue in an SLK context here so you can check that. Apart from that you'd be better off posting in a general SharePoint forum rather than a SLK specific one.

Richard

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Apr 22, 2010 at 5:50 AM

Hi, I am having this issue - (18097) - just want to know, has the workaround code been incorporated into the latest release of SLK?

Weighing up whether to upgrade as I'm on 1.3 at the moment but don't want to upgrade unless have to

Thanks,

Matt