Student Access to Class Sites

Topics: User Forum
Sep 20, 2007 at 10:36 AM
I have created numerous Class Sites and given the teachers of these classes Contribute, Design and SLK Instructor permissions. I've added the teacher of each directly (MYDOMAIN\ateacher), and ticked the three boxes I mentioned.

This all works fine, however i'm a little stuck when giving my students access. I have groups within Active Directory which i have added to the Class Sites with View Only, Read and SLK Learner permissions. e.g. the group named MYDOMAIN\Year10Maths is added with those three boxes ticked.

However, when a student who is a member of this group logs in, they cannot see the link to Year10Maths in the 'My Classes' webpart and if i type the URL directly, they get access denied.

If i add the student's user account to the Class Site with the same permissions, everything works ok. E.g MYDOMAIN\astudent with View Only, Read and SLK Learner.

I really Don't want to be adding each student to their classes individually, am i missing something along the line? It's as if it's failing to read the group memberships correctly.

Many thanks,

David.
Nov 18, 2007 at 9:55 AM
Hi David,

I would recommend you attend a webinar held next tuesday by a company called ITWorx. They have developed a tool that creates class sites, class groups, user accounts and assigns the correct permissions on SLK and Class sites.

Webinar information:
Tuesday, November 20th, 2007
15:00 GMT, 9:00 US/ CT
To register, please send an email to webinar@itworx.com
For more information, Please visit http://www.itworx.com/Industries/Education/products

Hope this helps.
Coordinator
Nov 19, 2007 at 11:10 AM
For those interested, I have also created a tool to automatically provision Active Directory and SharePoint/LG/SLK from an MIS system (notably Sims.Net and Facility CMIS), database or text files. This has been available and installed in schools since June.

For example it will create all the sites for the classes and populate the proper permissions for teachers and pupils. It can also create Exchange mailboxes (2003 & 2007), enable LCS and create home directories. It will then keep AD and SharePoint synchronised with your MIS so that as changes occur in the MIS they will automatically be reflected in SharePoint. I'm always adding new features so if it doesn't do exactly what you want out of the box (and it will do most things) then I'm happy to add new functionality.

If you want more information then have a look at my website
http://www.salamandersoft.co.uk
or email me at richardwillis@salamandersoft.co.uk

Thanks,
Richard