Active Directory Group Enumeration fails

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum
Nov 9, 2007 at 3:36 PM
Back in March I raised the problem with using Active Directory Groups. It was seen as an issue and raised as a work item. culverhay and I spent quite sometime in trying to fix this problem. In April culverhay released the code that would fix this issue. Why is this fix not included in the latest release? Surely when fixes are available they should be included in future releases!!!!
Coordinator
Nov 9, 2007 at 3:42 PM
FYI, the patch was tested and some issues were found. Over the last few days, Culverhay and I have been exchanging emails about this and talking about what's needed to get this patch out the door as soon as feasible. Sorry it's taking so long to get fixed, but everyone here, including Culverhay is a volunteer with a day job so it's not always as simple as "file a bug, get a patch" in an open source project like this.

- Jay

drooke wrote:
Back in March I raised the problem with using Active Directory Groups. It was seen as an issue and raised as a work item. culverhay and I spent quite sometime in trying to fix this problem. In April culverhay released the code that would fix this issue. Why is this fix not included in the latest release? Surely when fixes are available they should be included in future releases!!!!

Nov 9, 2007 at 5:26 PM
I do appologise. I was just very dispoointed and frustrated that it was not in the new release.

I was unaware of any issues regarding this patch as it was working briliiantly on our system. Are you able to tell me what the issues were, or point me to where they are listed?

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2007 at 8:10 PM
Edited Nov 9, 2007 at 8:10 PM
The problem was related to using a Forest (e.g. a series of Domain Controllers with multiple Domains) and Windows 2000 Mixed Mode. There is a potential fix that Culverhay came up with, but due to various factors the fix didn't get tested and submitted. I've been sent all the information including the patch and I'll take a look at it over the next few days to see if I can tell how close we are to a solution.

- jcb

drooke wrote:
I do appologise. I was just very dispoointed and frustrated that it was not in the new release.

I was unaware of any issues regarding this patch as it was working briliiantly on our system. Are you able to tell me what the issues were, or point me to where they are listed?

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2007 at 8:59 PM
Edited Nov 9, 2007 at 8:59 PM
I've updated the bug Active Directory Group Enumeration fails with what I've discovered after reading up on this. The biggest help I'm going to need are people who are willing to test this fix and sign off on adding it to the code. The more people to volunteer to help, the faster this can go.

JayBeavers wrote:
The problem was related to using a Forest (e.g. a series of Domain Controllers with multiple Domains) and Windows 2000 Mixed Mode. There is a potential fix that Culverhay came up with, but due to various factors the fix didn't get tested and submitted. I've been sent all the information including the patch and I'll take a look at it over the next few days to see if I can tell how close we are to a solution.

- jcb

drooke wrote:

Nov 10, 2007 at 9:00 AM
If I can be of help, I am more than willing.

Our server set up is

dc=a, dc= com

NETBIOSNAME = c

Hence our problem. The enumeration is looking for a\loginname and not c\loginname.