Hyperlinks within assignments

Nov 15, 2007 at 7:53 PM
I'm want to have a site as a e-lesson in SLK. I was able to create a variety of one-page documents (doc, ppt, htm) in my document library all which contain a link to a html on anothe site within our intranet's sharepoint. When I assign the documents as an e-learning, and then open up document as my lesson, the link is broken as the link as I entered it was changed and ..\..\..\ replaces my http:. Is this something in SLK's design. I hope what I explained makes sense to someone and someone can explain to me how to get my link to work. Does the target link have to be moved to the site my e-learning is in? Thanks in advance, Dozzee
Coordinator
Nov 16, 2007 at 3:27 PM
Let me see if I understand the problem:

• You create a word file. In the word file you create a hyperlink to www.MyIntranet.Com/SomewhereElse
  • You upload the word file to the SLK Document Library.
  • You assign the word file to a student.
  • When the student opens the word file and clicks on the hyperlink, the hyperlink has been magically redirected to ..\..\..\SomewhereElse

Is that correct?

dozzee wrote:
I'm want to have a site as a e-lesson in SLK. I was able to create a variety of one-page documents (doc, ppt, htm) in my document library all which contain a link to a html on anothe site within our intranet's sharepoint. When I assign the documents as an e-learning, and then open up document as my lesson, the link is broken as the link as I entered it was changed and ..\..\..\ replaces my http:. Is this something in SLK's design. I hope what I explained makes sense to someone and someone can explain to me how to get my link to work. Does the target link have to be moved to the site my e-learning is in? Thanks in advance, Dozzee

Nov 16, 2007 at 5:36 PM
Very close. I wasn't uploading to the Doc Lib, I was creating it in the Doc Lib.

Later in the day, I discovered that if I uploaded the file, the link didn't redirect. However, because I was still designing my page, after I uploaded it with the link working and went in to make some design changes to the file, the redirect happened each time I edited and saved within SP.

So, everytime I make the smallest change, I have to save it outside SP (like to my desktop) then upload it to keep the link in tact.
Coordinator
Nov 16, 2007 at 6:54 PM
This sounds like a SharePoint behavior, not an SLK behavior. SharePoint and Office applications have some pretty deep integration that kicks in when you create/edit a document stored in a SharePoint document library. I'd suggest trying the same exercise in a non-SLK enabled SharePoint Document Library. If you reproduce the same problem, I'd look at buying one or two of those really thick SharePoint books to see if they have any hints on how to turn this off.

dozzee wrote:
Very close. I wasn't uploading to the Doc Lib, I was creating it in the Doc Lib.

Later in the day, I discovered that if I uploaded the file, the link didn't redirect. However, because I was still designing my page, after I uploaded it with the link working and went in to make some design changes to the file, the redirect happened each time I edited and saved within SP.

So, everytime I make the smallest change, I have to save it outside SP (like to my desktop) then upload it to keep the link in tact.