Content Error - href is missing on element <resource>

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 21, 2007 at 10:50 PM
Hello,

I uploaded a Scorm 1.2 content into a document library. When I click on "E-Learning actions" I get the following error: "Some errors in this learning resorce were repaired, but the learning resource may not function as expected. The required attribute, href, is missing on element <resource>. Extra information: The resource node is missing the required attribute, 'href'."

If I try to work on the assignment, some elements (Images, Animations) are missing.

I'm available to send the resource (10 MB) to an official coordinator, if needed.

Please, could someone help?

Best regards,

Federico
Coordinator
Nov 21, 2007 at 11:40 PM
Edited Nov 21, 2007 at 11:41 PM
From your description, it sounds like your content is only partially SCORM 1.2 compliant, it's missing some data required by the specification (e.g. some of your <resource> elements do not have an href), and the SLK SCORM Runtime is detecting this, letting you know, and trying to fix it up as best it can behind the scenes.

I suspect what's happening is that the tool used to generate this content is not strictly SCORM 1.2 compliant. I was in the last few weeks of test meetings when SLK 1.0 was being wrapped up and I remember the team talking at length about how hard it was to find SCORM content that was actually standards compliant. My impression was that the SLK test team, being rather large compared to industry standard (like most Microsoft teams), was quite thorough in testing to exact specification compliance and the SLK SCORM player is quite sensitive to detecting deviations because of that. I also know they worked hard to "tolerate non-compliant content" because they found so many uncompliant tools out there, I think this is reflected in the "some errors were repaired, but the learning resource may not function as expected." part of the error message. Unfortunately, computers are rather dumb and pattern matching & filling in the blanks happen to be a chief weakness (or conversely are a human brain's chief strength) of most software so it sounds like the repairs didn't work out to your satisfaction.

I'd suggest one of three courses of action:

* Dive into the source code and start applying modern artificial intelligence techniques like Baysian Networks or Neutral Networks to improve the "make this non-standard content more standards compliant" algorithms in SLK.
* Use the superior human brain to open the SCORM Package yourself, try and find <resource> elements that have no <href>s and see if you can figure out "what the content tool really meant". Knowing something about the format of SCORM packages, I can tell you this is a significant error if your <resource>s don't have <href>s.
* Report the bug to your content tool and either get them to fix it or switch to a more SCORM compliant tool.

Hope this helps,

- jcb

ffavero wrote:
Hello,

I uploaded a Scorm 1.2 content into a document library. When I click on "E-Learning actions" I get the following error: "Some errors in this learning resorce were repaired, but the learning resource may not function as expected. The required attribute, href, is missing on element <resource>. Extra information: The resource node is missing the required attribute, 'href'."

If I try to work on the assignment, some elements (Images, Animations) are missing.

I'm available to send the resource (10 MB) to an official coordinator, if needed.

Please, could someone help?

Best regards,

Federico

Nov 29, 2007 at 4:09 PM
Federico,

I've discovered that Lectora, the authoring tool I use, creates SCORM compliant content--no problems--however, when I upload a Lectora module that has content I imported from a PowerPoint presentation, I get the same error you've described. It seems that integrated/imported content may not be SCORM compliant.

Johnny
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2007 at 5:48 AM
Please file a bug on this issue and attach sample content that reproduces the bug, I'll investigate.
Jun 15, 2010 at 6:46 AM

Hi guys,

Do you have a solution to this problem? I have SLK 1.4 installed and everything is working perfectly. A customer would like to host all the Microsoft E-Learning material you get under SA benefit. The packages install fine, but I get an error as mentioned above. Seems like the Microsoft material is not really SCORM 1.2 compliant? The result is that some images do not show when viewing the course.

Any ideas to solve this?

Thanks

Shane

Jun 16, 2010 at 11:45 PM

Hi all,

I actually found the solution for this. It seems that the e-learning content you download does not have well formed SCORM sintax. When you get this error, just edit the imsmanifest.xml file and add a blank href tag on the <resource> element. It is usually the second one in the <resources> collection.

Save the file and keep the current encoding type. Then just add the file back to the ZIP and upload into the SLK. You should not get any formatting errors anymore.

Cheers