SLK 1.3.x Release Plan

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Coordinator
Nov 28, 2007 at 3:03 PM
Edited Nov 28, 2007 at 4:16 PM
I'd like to get the 1.3 release moving to close out some of the high priority issues. We're not getting much response from the requests to test the patches, but there seems to be a lot of interest in these bugs overall. My assumption from this is that whilte there's a large community of interested users of SLK, the pool of people willing to download patches and make custom builds is small. So, my plan to help address this is to:

* Create 'alpha' builds for each release in which the patches are downloaded and compiled
* Publish the 'alpha' builds to the 'Releases'
* Ask community members to test using "UpgradeSolution.cmd" rather than download & compile
* For "stable" releases (e.g. non-controversial or well tested), each Alpha will have a week for community review before becoming the "official" release.
* For releases with less testing, each Alpha will have two weeks for community review before becoming the "official" release (we may need to increase this time...)

I'm going to keep the scope of change in each release small. For example, 1.3.0 will be changes to date plus the Active Directory Enumeration patch. 1.3.1 will have the Extended Web Applications & Assigning Documents patches.

Any objections or suggestions to this approach?
Coordinator
Nov 28, 2007 at 4:15 PM
Edited Nov 28, 2007 at 4:17 PM
I've added the following releases:

1.3.0 Patches as already submitted plus the Active Directory Enumeration fix.
1.3.2 Alpha -- Content Assignment Work
1.3.5 Alpha -- Localization Release

I'll try and get 1.3.0 out in the next week or so.
Nov 29, 2007 at 3:49 PM
Looks good but alot of us just want to use stable releases when in an edu environment :)

Is the firefox issues fixed with this release?

It just didn't work last time I tried with firefox.
Coordinator
Nov 29, 2007 at 5:33 PM
The best way to get stable releases is to pitch in and help, this is a community project after all :-) If you don't feel you have the skills/desire to help out by fixing bugs or adding features, donating some time to testing release builds is a great alternative.

As of this morning, no-one has volunteered to look into the Firefox issues. I put a few hours into this about a year ago and rapidly realized that I don't have the CSS/DHTML experience necessary to do a good job here so I'm hoping that someone out here has more modern HTML programming experience and will decide to help get this important bug fixed.

- jcb
Nov 30, 2007 at 1:21 PM
I would really like to try some of the patches, in particular the drooke "Use any document" one.

I'm sure I'm just being thick, but I can't see instructions on how to apply a patch.

JayBeavers wrote:
I'd like to get the 1.3 release moving to close out some of the high priority issues. We're not getting much response from the requests to test the patches, but there seems to be a lot of interest in these bugs overall. My assumption from this is that whilte there's a large community of interested users of SLK, the pool of people willing to download patches and make custom builds is small. So, my plan to help address this is to:

* Create 'alpha' builds for each release in which the patches are downloaded and compiled
* Publish the 'alpha' builds to the 'Releases'
* Ask community members to test using "UpgradeSolution.cmd" rather than download & compile
* For "stable" releases (e.g. non-controversial or well tested), each Alpha will have a week for community review before becoming the "official" release.
* For releases with less testing, each Alpha will have two weeks for community review before becoming the "official" release (we may need to increase this time...)

I'm going to keep the scope of change in each release small. For example, 1.3.0 will be changes to date plus the Active Directory Enumeration patch. 1.3.1 will have the Extended Web Applications & Assigning Documents patches.

Any objections or suggestions to this approach?

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2007 at 4:57 PM
Edited Nov 30, 2007 at 4:57 PM
I'll post a document on how to download and apply a patch later today.

In the mean time, if you have some spare time I'd appreciate it if you could test out the 1.3.0 Alpha. Getting this checked in will help in getting the 1.3.1 Alpha out with Drooke's patch included.

Take a look at Build Validation Tests for a list of a few simple tests that can be performed. Feel free to add others to your taste and suggest new ones you think should be included in the standard validation tests.
Coordinator
Nov 30, 2007 at 6:09 PM
Document posted at Test a Patch.
Dec 3, 2007 at 11:25 AM
Thanks very much for this. I'll download and apply the 1.30 version and let you know how I get on. I'll look forward to DRooke's version though because I can't fully deploy without it or a version of it of my own.

Best wishes

Jay