SLK API

Topics: Developer Forum
Dec 6, 2007 at 8:39 PM
Hi, I have downloaded and installed the SLK. Really nice installation and integration.

My question is the following:

Does the SLK have an API that exposes its functionality? For example a web service that will allow me to get the students with their grades

Thanks
Xavier
Dec 7, 2007 at 8:18 PM
Edited Dec 7, 2007 at 8:23 PM
Found how. Thanks
Coordinator
Dec 7, 2007 at 9:26 PM
There is an SLK SDK. It's not very web-service centric, but it does have a rich server-side object model. Sharepoint 3.0 is also similar in this respect.

I'm working on a similar concept now, and the approach I'm taking is to write a new web service which then calls server side APIs (SLK, SharePoint, and SQL). I'll be posting an example of this in about two months. I had to work through some wrinkles around running a Windows Communications Foundation web service on a subweb under the SLK/SharePoint web root.

If you go down a similar route and start to hit problems before I've posted code, drop a note here and I'll post some specifics early.
Dec 12, 2007 at 6:44 AM
Jay, didn't you add a web service example to the SDK samples around the time of initial release? Is that helpful here? (<SDK Download>/Samples/SDK/WebService)
Coordinator
Dec 18, 2007 at 12:38 AM
There is a web service example in the SDK, I looked at it before starting but it didn't look like it would work for me. I also wanted to build on top of Windows Communications Foundation so I could use some of the neat new REST & POX features they've come out with in .NET 3.5.