Unable to a a user to learner role

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Dec 9, 2007 at 10:13 PM
I am not sure if this is the place to post this but I just installed the MOSS 2007 Training Kit on my sharepoint server. WHen I go to the learner site I get the following error. Does anyone know how to fix this?? Thanks..
Unable to add a user to a Learner role.
STK has not been configured properly.
Error: Please contact your SharePoint administrator. The error information has been logged to Windows event log on the SharePoint server.
Coordinator
Dec 11, 2007 at 6:28 AM
I've found in the past that when SharePoint tells me to look in the Windows event log for more details that it has some pretty helpful information there. Open up Event Viewer and look through the Application Log for SharePoint related events, that might point you in the right direction.

dpamj wrote:
I am not sure if this is the place to post this but I just installed the MOSS 2007 Training Kit on my sharepoint server. WHen I go to the learner site I get the following error. Does anyone know how to fix this?? Thanks..
Error: Please contact your SharePoint administrator. The error information has been logged to Windows event log on the SharePoint server.

Mar 10, 2008 at 2:53 PM
Were you ever able to find a solution for this problem? We are experiencing the same error.

dpamj wrote:

Mar 10, 2008 at 3:34 PM
We are getting a similar error on after installing the SLK:

"Unable to add a user to Learners role.
Most probably STK has not been configured properly. Check if Learner and Instructor rolse have been created."

This error was the result of instructing the installation to use the built-in "Contribute" and "Read" permissions versus the Trainer and Learner. When we attempted the installation and asked it to create the Trainer and Learner permissions, we received the same error as the other posters. Additionally the permissions were not available when viewing the Site Permissions.
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2008 at 11:30 PM
The best advice I can give you is to email sptbeta@microsoft.com with your questions, STK is not supported here. I've heard it said that this email address bounces, so I just checked on our mail system and this still looks like a valid email alias.
Apr 23, 2008 at 8:30 AM
We had a similar problem. We got the kit installed, deployed, the feature activated and the site created successfully but when we browsed to the Learner site we got:

"Error: Please contact your SharePoint administrator. The error information has been logged to Windows event log on the SharePoint server."

When we looked in the server's event logs (and the SharePoint logs for good measure) there wasn't anything logged. Eventually we found that the site only seems to work if the site's regional settings are set to US English.
Feb 2, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Please also check the event log of the Database Server.

maybe you did not grant the Apppool Account enough rights.

You get exactly the same error as described above, if the apppool account does not have enough rights.
Make sure, they have the LearningStore Role for this database in SQL Studio user mapping.

Eventlog Database Server: Failure Audit Log
Login failed for user 'domain\apppoolaccount'. [CLIENT: XXX]
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Good Luck!