Renaming a Site Collection

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Obviously there is no straight rename in SharePoint.  you need to back up, delete and restore the site under a different URL...

I did this and have noticed some quirks with SLK...

1st -- Courses seem to be restored ok but in the my assignments web-part the "Site" column reads as "Unknown Site"

2nd is when attempting to delete an assignment it give me an error and logs this in the event log --

SharePoint Learning Kit Error

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: The site with the id 9c704f6c-5221-4325-8b69-70e9e1b2d13a could not be found.

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite..ctor(Guid id, SPFarm farm, SPUrlZone zone, SPUserToken userToken)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSite..ctor(Guid id, SPUrlZone zone)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.Grading.slkButtonDelete_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Obviously it is looking for the site GUID of the old site.  I have a feeling it is the same reason for both.  Is there an easy way to correct this?

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:19 PM

I really should do some troubleshooting myself before I post...

The solution to this really is pretty simple and I think I can understand why some of it worked and some didnt.  SLK was smart enough to pickup the new WebID but not the Site ID.  So the assignments showed up and ran in the web, but errored out anywhere the siteid was referenced.  The solution was to look in the Webs table of the content database and find the siteID of the site in question (lookup off of FullURL if you want).  Then look at the SLK database and find the AssignmentItem table.  Run a query select * from assignmentitem where spsiteguid = 'guid in event log'. You should see a list of all courses with an issue.  Then run

update assignmentitem
set SPSiteGuid = 'new guid'
where SPSiteguid = 'old guid'

This then fixed my web-part with the correct site name and allowed me to delete the courses.  Is there anywhere else in the SLK database where SiteIDGuid is located that I would need to update?