Error when activating SLC feature

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 15, 2008 at 3:00 AM
Hi,
I'm trying to install the SharePoint learning kit on our production box and have found that the SLC feature fails to activate. I initially got the error regarding the site not being in the US region. After sorting that issue I now get the following error :

Invalid template URL The template must exist in the Forms directory of this document library.

The full error from the logs is

Invalid template URL The template must exist in the Forms directory of this document library. Create the template in the Forms directory, and then re-type the Web address. Note that you cannot move or copy a template into the Forms directory.
01/15/2008 14:05:51.39 w3wp.exe (0x2A98) 0x2A04 Windows SharePoint Services Feature Infrastructure 88jm High Feature receiver assembly 'Microsoft.SharePointTraining.Features, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=37f7dd94436295f9', class 'Microsoft.SharePointTraining.Features.StkFeatureReceiver', method 'FeatureActivated' for feature '94362efd-5aba-4677-afb5-a23ad92802fd' threw an exception: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Invalid template URL The template must exist in the Forms directory of this document library. Create the template in the Forms directory, and then re-type the Web address. Note that you cannot move or copy a template into the Forms directory. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x81020033): Invalid template URL The template must exist in the Forms directory of this document library. Create the template in the Forms directory, and then re-type the We...
01/15/2008 14:05:51.39* w3wp.exe (0x2A98) 0x2A04 Windows SharePoint Services Feature Infrastructure 88jm High ...b address. Note that you cannot move or copy a template into the Forms directory. at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.SetListProps(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, Boolean bMigrate) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.SetListProps(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, Boolean bMigrate) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.SetListProps(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, Boolean bMigrate) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPList.Update(Boolean bFromMigration) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPList.Update() at Microsoft.SharePointTraining.Features.StkFeatureReceiver.ConfigureTrainingLibrary(SPDocumentLibrary spDocLib) at Microsoft.SharePointTraining.Features.StkFeatureReceiver.CreateTrainingSites(SPWeb...
01/15/2008 14:05:51.39* w3wp.exe (0x2A98) 0x2A04 Windows SharePoint Services Feature Infrastructure 88jm High ... trainingHomeWeb) at Microsoft.SharePointTraining.Features.StkFeatureReceiver.FeatureActivated(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActivationCallout(Boolean fActivate, Boolean fForce)
01/15/2008 14:05:51.39 w3wp.exe (0x2A98) 0x2A04 Windows SharePoint Services General 72by High Feature Activation: Threw an exception, attempting to roll back. Feature 'MossTraining' (ID: '94362efd-5aba-4677-afb5-a23ad92802fd'). Exception: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Invalid template URL The template must exist in the Forms directory of this document library. Create the template in the Forms directory, and then re-type the Web address. Note that you cannot move or copy a template into the Forms directory. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x81020033): Invalid template URL The template must exist in the Forms directory of this document library. Create the template in the Forms directory, and then re-type the Web address. Note that you cannot move or copy a template into the Forms directory. at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.SetListPr...
01/15/2008 14:05:51.39* w3wp.exe (0x2A98) 0x2A04 Windows SharePoint Services General 72by High ...ops(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, Boolean bMigrate) at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.SetListProps(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, Boolean bMigrate) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.SetListProps(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, Boolean bMigrate) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPList.Update(Boolean bFromMigration) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPList.Update() at Microsoft.SharePointTraining.Features.StkFeatureReceiver.ConfigureTrainingLibrary(SPDocumentLibrary spDocLib) at Microsoft.SharePointTraining.Features.StkFeatureReceiver.CreateTrainingSites(SPWeb trainingHomeWeb) at Microsoft.SharePointTraining.Features.StkFeatureReceiver.FeatureActivated(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties) at Micr...
01/15/2008 14:05:51.39* w3wp.exe (0x2A98) 0x2A04 Windows SharePoint Services General 72by High ...osoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActivationCallout(Boolean fActivate

I've already installed the SLC on our dev box and it installed fine which makes this error even more confusing.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Coordinator
Jan 29, 2008 at 4:37 PM
If you're refering to the SharePoint Training Kit, you can find support for it via sptbeta@microsoft.com. I'm not familiar with the STK, but I can tell you that Micrsoft.SharePointTraining.Features is not a SharePoint Learning Kit namespace.

Sorry for the naming and support confusion.

- jcb
Feb 13, 2008 at 11:09 PM
Hi DuncH

I'm having the same problem as you've described. Do you have the solution already ?

Thanks

Thomas
Feb 14, 2008 at 12:32 AM
Hi Thomas,
I'm afraid I've not got to the bottom of this yet. I wish I had. I've not got round to mailing the support email as given by JayBeavers. It's still on my long list of 'MOSS Issues to sort out'! I'll mail it now and post any response. If you have any luck finding the solution don't forget to post it up here :-)
Cheers
Feb 14, 2008 at 2:53 AM
Hi DuncH

I did send email to the one JayBeavers suggested, but so far no solution given. I also posted to Microsoft MSN forum, hope some genius out there could help :)

DuncH wrote:
Hi Thomas,
I'm afraid I've not got to the bottom of this yet. I wish I had. I've not got round to mailing the support email as given by JayBeavers. It's still on my long list of 'MOSS Issues to sort out'! I'll mail it now and post any response. If you have any luck finding the solution don't forget to post it up here :-)
Cheers

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:28 PM
Hi Thomas,
I think I've cracked it. I don't suppose you have installed the Fab 40 templates have you? If so did you use a batch file that came with them to install them?
I was searching for a solution to yet another weird MOSS error when I noticed that there were a lot of errors in the log relating to one of the features installed by the fab 40. When I checked in the solutions management in Moss Central Admin I noticed that some of the solutions had not deployed properly. Most of these had failed as they were trying to deploy the same features onto the site and failing due to the feature already being installed. I had used a batch file to install them and this did not have the -force parameter .
In the solutions management there were two types of failure.
1. The solution had deployed but there were errors - to fix these just retract the solution and redeploy.
2. The solution had failed to deploy completely. - to fix just redeploy each failed solution using stsadm.exe deploysolution command line with the -force parameter.

I hope fixes your issue as this one was driving me nuts.
On to the next issue, now if anyone knows why when creating a custom document library gets a "cannot complete this action" error but seems to be OK other than that I'm all ears :-)
Feb 28, 2008 at 3:46 AM
Hi DuncH

stsadm with -force didn't help also. I didn't install Fab 40 templates, only install the Training Kit. It works fine for the text box but not production.

I have search problem on Netware file share as well ? Always get "Network Name not found" even though I can access the file share from windows explorer.

thanks