To use the observor role session state must be enabled for the web application

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Apr 3, 2010 at 1:22 AM

I'm getting this error when viewing Childern Assignments as a parent. How can I solve this issue?.

Apr 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM
Edited Apr 3, 2010 at 1:37 PM

Any help?.

Edit: BTW enableSessionState is set to true.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Hi

I have just installed SLK 1.4 and configured it on our SharePoint 2007 server.

Enthusiastically, I created group with the roles of Learner,  Teacher and Observer and sadded myself to all.

I then got the "To use the observor role session state must be enabled for the web application" error.

I thrashed about a bit, rebooting etc to no avail.

I then downloaded the source code and searched for observor (it's good to have spelling mistakes as they are easier to find).

There was the raise error routine and it only applied to observers.

I am not even sure what observers do, so I guess I don't need it.

I fixed the problem by removing the observer role from all groups.

Then everything worked fine.

Good luck

Che

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:40 PM

I've managed to solve this error, and not by removing anyone or any group from the observer role. Nothing special to it if you know what the error means. I talked it over with my college and after some searching we found this page http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/sharepoint2010general/thread/3145fd29-2315-42f7-8f9d-cf6d52dc3c95 that answered how to enable session state manually. I'm personally not a PowerShell user so this suited my preference on solving the error.  To recap on what I did to resolve the error, that has nothing to do with a spelling error, I followed the first two posts on the msdn social link above. Don't read into it too much, the steps are clearly spelled out.

Add this to your web.config for you SPsite:

<httpModules>
      <add name="Session" type="System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule" />
    </httpModules>

And do this in IIS7.x

1. Open IIS 7 manager, and find your web application. (Select the SharePoint site your SLK is in.)
  2. Double click "Modules" in the IIS section.
  3. Click "Add Managed Module..." on the right hand pane.
  4. In the Add Managed Module dialog, enter "SessionState" or something like that for the name, and choose the following item from the dropdown:

System.Web.SessionState.SessionStateModule, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a

After that, session state should be enabled for your web app/web service!

Hope this helps!
Observative 

BTW: I'm not sure how to assign learners to observers, but I believe you have to add the learner to the observer's AD ipphoneother as domain\username?

Jun 6, 2012 at 5:16 PM

i found this and also resolve my problem, now a need to know how assign a learner user to a observer and this observer could see the learner user assignments lol.

P.D: i´m using the 1.5.2 version and MOSS2010

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/markarend/archive/2010/05/27/using-session-state-in-sharepoint-2010.aspx

Jun 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM

@Necroft : Its been some time since I visited this thread and this resolve...glad it helped you. To the best of what I recall, I was only able to assign a user to either a learner role or an observer role but not both simultaneously. It's not the best solution to the observer/learner conflict of interest in views of assignments. But it does let a user view the other learners assignments as an observer, and then later be able to complete assignments themselves.

When a user needed (temporarily) the features of the observer role, I would remove the user from the learner role and add them to the observer role; then reverse the role assignment so the user could be a learner after the observer role features were not needed, or when a user needed to be assigned more assignments. This was done via Active Directory Group membership by adding or removing the user from the associated AD/SP roles for SLK observer/learner permissions.

NOTE: In my particular instance; The SLK observer can only view SLK learner's assignments of whom they are a manager for in AD. In other words the learner must have the observer as their manager in AD or the observer can't view the learner's assignments.

Hope this gives some insight to the management of SLK!