SLK Deployment on SharePoint w/ Multiple Applications

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Feb 8, 2008 at 6:04 PM
Hey all,

I have a SharePoint configuration set-up with a single application running on port 80 and a single site collection in that application. SLK is deployed and works great.

However, I added an additional application and an additional site collection and cannot get the ALWP to be visible in this site collection. I have retracted and redeployed the SLK solution, configured SLK against both applications, and the web part is only visible in the application I had originally set-up, not in the second one.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Nick
Coordinator
Feb 8, 2008 at 8:02 PM
Edited Feb 8, 2008 at 8:03 PM
Hi Nick,

Assuming that SLK is deployed to the new application I'm not sure why it wouldn't appear. You could try manually adding it to the site gallery by:
  1. Opening site settings
  2. Under Site Collection Administration click "Go to top level site settings"
  3. Under Galleries click "Web Parts"
  4. Click New on the toolbar
  5. See if Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.WebParts.AssignmentListWebPart is present, select it and click the "Populate Gallery" button at the top.

If it's not in that list then check to see that it has been deployed to both web applications.

Richard
http://www.salamandersoft.co.uk
Feb 8, 2008 at 11:06 PM
Hey Richard,

Indeed, this was because SLK was only deployed to the default application.

Does anyone think that the DeploySolution command should include the -allcontenturls parameter so it will deploy globally, or if you have multiple applications is it just best practice to do this through stsadm or Central Admin?

Nick
Coordinator
Feb 9, 2008 at 7:15 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2008 at 7:15 PM
Hi Nick,

Excellent - glad it's sorted.

Personally I don't think that the DeploySolution command should deploy it globally. The reason people have multiple applications is that they want to keep them separate. It's probably worth updating the documentation to make it clear that the DeploySolutions command only deploys it to the default application and that you need to manually deploy it to others.

Richard
http://www.salamandersoft.co.uk
Feb 10, 2008 at 7:21 PM
Agreed, that makes more sense.

Thanks for the help,
Nick