Tutors reviewing work

Topics: User Forum
Feb 11, 2008 at 12:48 PM
I've adapted the Solitaire package to implement my own assessment. I thought that when a tutor went in to review the answers that the mode would be set to "review" but it seems to be set to "normal". Is there any way of knowing when an assessment is being viewed by a tutor rather than a student? Thanks in advance.
Feb 13, 2008 at 4:18 AM
SLK should open the attempt in 'review' mode if the learner is accessing their own attempt and the learner assignment state is final, or if the current user opening the learner's attempt is an instructor for the assignment with any assignment state as long as the student has started it. Does the Solitaire package behave as you expect in the same scenario? Is the tutor an instructor on the assignment and accessing the attempt via the grading page?
Feb 21, 2008 at 3:47 PM
Sorry for delay in replying. Have now tried with the solitaire package and I don't think it behaves as expected.

If I fill in a few questions as a pupil, and submit the assignment, I can then go to the tutor grading page. According to your reply, this should open in review mode. However, when I try it still opens in normal mode, and the routine to disable the html controls is never run.

I thought I'd try and track this through the source code but am having trouble building it.
Feb 22, 2008 at 5:39 AM
Interesting. When you say 'tutor', does that individual have the same permissions and relationship to the pupil as an 'instructor'? Is the tutor an instructor on the assignment? Did they assign the assignment to the learner? I have a feeling that the tutor isn't actually opening the learner's attempt, but is instead starting a new attempt for themselves. If it is the learner's attempt, then the instructor should see the answers that were stored in the database. If everything is blank, then it is likely creating a new attempt.

If the pupil assigns the content to themselves and finishes the solitaire package, she should be able to access her attempt after it is complete and display in review mode. Does that work?

Feb 22, 2008 at 9:33 AM
I will check about the pupil assigning their own work.

The tutor is in the SLK Instructors group. They upload the document, assign the elearning content to the pupil, then grade it when completed. They can see all the pupil's answers correctly. It's just that the cmi.mode seems to be coming back as "normal".

I haven't seen anyone else reporting this problem which does make me wonder if I'm missing a setting or something somewhere
Feb 23, 2008 at 7:05 PM
Your description of assigning and viewing the assignment sounds correct except for the mode and the html controls not getting disabled. I haven't been active in SLK for quite a while, so I don't have an installation right now that I can test this out with myself.

Is anyone else watching this thread? Is review mode working for you?
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2008 at 11:07 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.