DB error in configuration...using local SQL server

Feb 11, 2008 at 10:28 PM
I'm getting this error:

-------
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
-------

Could the issue be that we're installing this on our test MOSS server that's using a local SQL DB (The default 'standalone' MOSS install)?

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2008 at 10:45 PM
You'll get this message whenever SLK can't connect to your database instance. I would suspect that you have the wrong SQL Server instance name in your SLK configuration.
Feb 12, 2008 at 4:13 PM
Aha! Finally found that it's "servername\OfficeServers". I assume that's a unique thing about SQL Embedded?
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2008 at 5:39 PM
Any type of SQL Server can be deployed to a 'named instance' (e.g. OfficeServers). It just depends on how the setup program that installs SQL Server decides how what to name its SQL Server instance.

Over time, I'm finding that I deploy SQL Server first and then any products (like MOSS or SharePoint or SLK) afterwards and I redirect their setups to you my instance of SQL Server. I've found this gives me much more control over SQL Server's settings and allows my machines to run more efficiently (I get fewer surprise instances of SQL Server installed).