SKL Beta1 - functionality

Topics: User Forum
Nov 4, 2006 at 6:12 PM
Will Beta 1 include the ability for students to edit and save content?
Nov 10, 2006 at 10:32 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by edit and save content.

If it is e-learning content (SCORM 2004, SCORM 1.2, or Class Server) then any questions or interactions that get written by the content to the data model do get saved in SLK.

For non-e-learning content (ie. Word files), if the learner edits the file, they must save their changes manually. SLK does not have a drop box feature, although it would be a very valuable feature and a great addition to the product in the future.

One possibility for saving non-e-learning content would be for an instructor to set up a separate document library for learners to save their work to. Then each learner could save their work to the doclib and the instructor could go there to view the work.
Nov 11, 2006 at 3:55 PM
If I can describe what we are doing it may throw some light on the problem:-

1. Wrote a document in Word 2003 with Learning essentials installed. This was a basic document with 3 questions (also used Articulate Quiz maker to do the same).
2. Saved document in SCORM 2004 format.
3. Uploaded document to site.
4. Assigned to student.
5. Student logs in and attempts assignment. The assignment (from word) is read only, (from articulate) is read write. Student saves work (articulate) and submits.
6. Teacher checks work submitted, gets problem described in work-around, when reloads there is no content.

Am I doing something wrong?
Why is the word document in SCORM 2004 format read only?
Should the teacher be able to see the submitted work?
Nov 13, 2006 at 9:41 AM
same thing here - articulate won't save state and answers for resuming afterwards
Nov 14, 2006 at 6:36 PM
Learning Essentials does a save as SCORM, but it is primarily saving the Office doc as html and then wrapping it in a SCORM package so it can play in an LMS. It does not implement any interactivity, so students are not able to answer questions and have those questions graded etc. It is as you describe a read only document.

With Articulate, you can create your quiz and have those answers saved and autograded etc. The piece that I'm not sure about is whether those quizzes can be resumed (where the student sees their previous answers and can make changes in future sessions), or whether the content can retrieve the answers and display them in review mode. All of that functionality is dependent on the content retrieving and displaying the data from the SLK database via the SCORM API. All of that data should be in the database.

You may want to check out other authoring tools as well. Does anyone reviewing this thread have a recommendation for an authoring tool with high-fidelity saving and retrieving of learner answers with review mode and resuming of learner sessions?
Nov 15, 2006 at 5:19 PM
I am beginning to understand. If the content does not allow posts back to the database via the API then it will only ever be real only. From our tests the Articulate Quizmaker does not allow the ability to resume. Nor (and this is the strange bit) does it save the answers when submitted. I find this bizzare unless of course the format does not post back using the API. I would as you say benefit from knowing the name of a package that has that capability.
Feb 1, 2007 at 8:42 AM
With Wondershare QuizCreator, you can build interactive flash-based graded quizzes. Those quizzes can be published for web or LMS, so students could take quiz from web or LMS. And, the test results will deliver to a php, which would help you collect the test details from the students, and the results are read only.

http://www.sameshow.com/quiz-creator.html
Feb 3, 2007 at 3:09 PM
Articulate does in fact save answers to the database, but you have to click one button to grade, then another from the grade summary to finalize (I don't have it in front of me, so can't remember the button names). You then have to submit the assignment in SLK.

Unfortunately, Articulate doesn't read that data back from the database and populate it; Every Articulate sessions starts from scratch. Articulate also doesn't understand "review" mode, so can't present the graded results back to the learner.