Help me understand what this is.

Feb 12, 2008 at 4:24 PM
Apologies for the likely dumb question, but...

I've gotten the Learning Kit installed and configured, but am not sure what it is.

Is it a site? A site template? Web parts? In otherwords, now that it's installed, now what? How do I use it?

While I'm interested in the SCORM features, my main goal was to get it installed as I've been told that it includes some sample content that is actual SharePoint training. I'm just not sure how to find it now.
Coordinator
Feb 12, 2008 at 5:48 PM
There are three related, confusing technologies in this area:

SharePoint Learning Kit (e.g. SLK) -- this is a shared source web based learning management system based on SharePoint 2007. This site is the host for that.

Microsoft Learning Gateway (e.g. MLG) -- this is a set of extensions to SLK that adds functionality and integrates more with other Microsoft server products. This has a separate site here on CodePlex for questions and support. Note: MLG uses a modified / incompatible version of SLK as its core. We're working on re-unifying these as we speak so that MLG becomes a set of additional services layered on top of SLK.

SharePoint Training Kit (e.g. STK) -- this is a set of training information for SharePoint 2007 that was created by taking a copy of SLK, modifying it, and then adding content to it. You can download this from Microsoft.Com http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blogs/GetThePoint/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=8d9e2a99%2Df288%2D47c2%2D916b%2D2f32864f7b82&ID=23 and get support via an email alias (but not here).

Urgh, all I can say is that Microsoft is a big company and we have trouble working together at times. I think I need a FAQ about this...
Feb 12, 2008 at 7:13 PM
Ah! That does help clarify things.

So, sounds like I need to install SharePoint Training Kit. Which, is a modified SLK.

That said, I'm still a bit confused as to what both STK and SLK are upon installation...are they sites? templates? Portals?
Feb 12, 2008 at 8:25 PM
darr3l,

I downloaded the STK after connecting with somone working on the project. She pointed out to me that the STK does not deal with SLK at all; but, they are related as Jay pointed out. After downloading the kit I noticed that it is a series of training exercises designed to improve your skills with the SharePoint 2007. It includes short videos, articles, and interactive training exercises. The training is broken down into: Collaboration, Enterprise Content Management, Business Process & Forms, Search, Portals, and BI. If you are looking for specific training on the SharePoint Learning Kit, then this is not it. It will not target SLK areas such as assignment tracking, students self assignment,etc. It will however give you the basics of SharePoint 2007 which is the foundation for the SLK. You can find more information detailing SLK features and functionality by visiting http://www.learninggateway.net and clicking on SharePoint Learning Kit.
Feb 14, 2008 at 11:32 AM
darr3l,
I've been working with sharepoint a long time and I had a similar initial experience as you. Only after I uploaded SCROM content and configured the permissions of the learners/instructors so that I could properly use the e-learning actions as either a student or a teacher was I able to finally understand what the SLK is. Simply (and probably inaccurately), it's a webpart that has a number of workflow processes to manage SCORM and Office content. It's quite impressive really.

And to Jay's point, I would also add MS hasn't done a particularly good job of saying the SLK assumes the role of Class Server WITHOUT the SCORM authoring tools. Any chance the SLK will include such tools in future releases?
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2008 at 10:58 PM

igloo3232 wrote:

And to Jay's point, I would also add MS hasn't done a particularly good job of saying the SLK assumes the role of Class Server WITHOUT the SCORM authoring tools. Any chance the SLK will include such tools in future releases?

We're actively working on a new authoring tool, Grava, and integration between it and SLK.
Mar 25, 2008 at 8:22 PM
I installed the STK previously, configured, and seemed to be working correctly. I have since installed the SLK (which is the base framework of the STK from what I understand). The install for the SLK went fine until I got to SLK step 3.2.3.8.1-4 (Add the SLK List Web Part to a site).

Is there a conflict between installing both of these to the same sharepoint farm? Or should I have installed the SLK first?