SQL server

Topics: User Forum
Nov 5, 2006 at 8:12 PM
Hi,

Am I right to assume that when SLK is released, it will require SQL server, and will not be able to hook into SQL 2005 Embedded Edition as WSS3 does?

thanks
Mike
Nov 7, 2006 at 1:00 AM
You're right; only WSS can use the special "WSS version" of SQL.
Nov 7, 2006 at 11:27 PM
You can use SQL 2005 express for WSS3 and SLK and everything is OK. I use SQL 2005 Express.
Nov 8, 2006 at 12:47 AM
It's true that you can use SQL Express, but you have to be aware of its limitations. If you're in a production environment, SQL Express may not scale to your needs. For a single server test or development environment, it's probably fine.
Nov 23, 2006 at 9:39 AM
Another related question. Can SQL Embedded Edition and SQL Express coexist? I was wondering whether I could install Express to place the SLK database on the sharepoint server, without downgrading(?) Embedded and the performance and capacity limits that come with Express.
Nov 27, 2006 at 5:11 PM
On my test server I have WSS using its instance of SQL and I have SLK using SQL Express installed on the same machine.

I think when you install SQL Express it won't be the default SQL instance on the server, so when configuring SLK you should specify <server name>\SQLEXPRESS for the database server rather than just the server name.