building a corporate university LMS for distance learning with SharePoint Learning Kit

Topics: User Forum
Jul 22, 2010 at 10:30 PM
Edited Jul 28, 2010 at 2:56 PM

I just got a client that has a collection of about 100 files: DOCs PPTs JPGs MPEGs CDs DVDs, regular videos, printed books and manuals, etc. (probably 250 printed pages worth) that are used in ongoing employee development in sort of an on-site corporate university.

They want to put them online so that senior employees around the world can access them, without flying people to classes etc. Maybe 200 users.

They use SharePoint bigtime for other projects, and want to use it here too. Sure, we can assemble the resources into Sites and Subsites, Lists and Document Libraries (and they would be more than happy with that) but can you make it a "real" LMS, Learning Management System that can have quizzes and tests, report on those quizzes and tests back to a centralized database, track attendance dates, pick back up in topic 4 chapter 5 because you stopped in topic 4 chapter 5 the day before when you closed out, etc.

Am I on the right track by looking at SharePoint Learning Kit?

Can anyone help me to look intelligent, like I know what I'm doing, or maybe point me in the right direction of other MOSS resources?

:)

THANKS in advance!

PS: I am doing this on a voluntary un-paid basis, two days a week. Karma...

Jul 23, 2010 at 12:34 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2010 at 12:35 PM

Take a look at SharePointLMS:
http://www.elearningforce.com/products/Pages/sharepointlms.aspx
It has functionality like SLK, but far more, like a quiz-editor, learningpaths, registration, et cetera.

Jul 28, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Thank you, Dofgag, for that lead. Anybody else have an idea?