SLK 1.5 - SP2010 install issue

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Aug 3, 2010 at 1:41 PM

I'm trying to install the SLK 1.5 beta version and encounter the following.

Installation went fine just until I reached point 5.b "Open the SharePoint Learning Kit Configuration page which is under Application Management | SharePoint Learning Kit Configuration | Configure SharePoint Learning Kit". I just don't see this in central admin?

On the other hand I can activate the webparts on site and site collection level. Even if there is no configuration of the SLK DB and users?

Anybody else with this issue?

Regards, Danny

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I have a similar issue. i cannot see the same on the central administration. I am now stuck not sure what to do so. May the microsoft guy help us

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2010 at 8:53 PM
Edited Aug 3, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Try running the following powershell commands to force the activation of the feature.

$centralAdmin = $(Get-SPWebApplication -IncludeCentralAdministration | Where { $_.IsAdministrationWebApplication -eq $TRUE}).Url

Enable-SPFeature -Identity "00057005-c978-11da-ba52-00042350e42e" -Url $centralAdmin

It may be easier to save as a .ps1 file and run that.

Richard

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

P.S. Who is the Microsoft guy?

Coordinator
Aug 3, 2010 at 8:56 PM

Has anyone had the Configure Page available without having to force the feature activation. I would like to know to see if the problem is for everyone or just in specific cases.

Thanks,

Richard

Aug 4, 2010 at 8:37 AM

Morning

I have run that script and the sharepoint learning kit configuration option is now available on the central administration. i choose my site collection to configure for e learning and the completed the configuration. But when i now go the site action and site collection features i cannot see these options

Activate the feature.

h. On sites containing your learning resources select Site Actions | Site Settings | Mange Site Features. Activate the appropriate features chosen from:

i. SharePoint Learning Kit. Allowing assigning of resources to any site in the site collection.

ii. SharePoint Learning Kit - Assign Self. Allowing quick assigning to the logged in user.

iii. SharePoint Learning Kit - Assign To Site. Allowing quick assigning to learners in the current site.

they are not available. May you help me please.

Aug 4, 2010 at 2:17 PM
After running both scripts nothing has changed. I uninstalled everything, did the installation again including the new scripts. Unfortunately nothing has changed. I still can't see the configuration part in central admin.

Richard, if you need more information on this then please let me know.

Regards,
Danny

On 3 August 2010 21:53, RichardWillis <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Try running the following powershell commands to force the activation of the feature. $centralAdmin = $(Get-SPWebApplication -IncludeCentralAdministration | Where { $_.IsAdministrationWebApplication -eq $TRUE}).Url Enable-SPFeature -Identity "00057005-c978-11da-ba52-00042350e42e" -Url $centralAdmin It may be easier to save as a .ps1 file and run that. Richard SLK Coordinator http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk P.S. Who is the Microsoft guy?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (SLK@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email SLK@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:34 PM

I have installed the SLK on a test machine with the built-in administrator account, and I can see the Configuration link in Central Admin if I am logged on as administrator. If I log on to Central Admin with another account (even with farm admin rights), the configuration link is missing. I can access the page if I go directly to <CA URL>/_admin/sharepointlearningkit/configuration.aspx.

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:11 PM

Following jvbelle's guidelines I can now configure the SLK. But when activating the SLK webpart on a web page I get an error. In the log files I see the following:

Failed to read resource file "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\Resources\SLK.en-US.resx" from feature id "(null)".    e06c8440-08ec-478f-a4c1-32a94fe355d0
Failed to open the language resource keyfile SLK.    e06c8440-08ec-478f-a4c1-32a94fe355d0
Failed to open the file 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\Resources\SLK.en-US.resx'.    e06c8440-08ec-478f-a4c1-32a94fe355d0

And yes, there is no file named SLK.en-US.resx only a SLK.resx file, so the error seems normal. Now I copied and renamed it to SLK.en-US.resx but the error still remains. The file is there and I can open it.

Danny

Coordinator
Aug 4, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Hi Danny,

What exact actions are you taking when you get the error. Activating the feature or adding the web part on a page?

Richard

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:42 PM
I had the same problem in 2007. Kevin
Coordinator
Aug 5, 2010 at 11:41 AM

Danny & Kevin,

Can you activate the site level features?

Coordinator
Aug 5, 2010 at 11:47 AM

jvbelle Great spot about the missing configuration link.

That link is set up to only show when the logged in user is a site collection administrator on the central administration site. I'll remove that requirement in the next release.

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:50 PM

Hi Richard,

Take a look at http://www.screencast.com/users/ParaVolve/folders/Jing/media/7cd80675-9c0e-4ea8-a29a-33314d787ba2 I made a screencast of the setup and configuration.

As you can see everything is installed nicely, we can add the SLK Webpart to the page but then it's error. If you want to take a look at the system then please contact me via Twitter @ParaVolve

Danny

Aug 5, 2010 at 7:10 PM

So far I have not been able to activate the site level features.

Kevin

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:34 PM
RichardWillis wrote:

Has anyone had the Configure Page available without having to force the feature activation. I would like to know to see if the problem is for everyone or just in specific cases.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard,

I was able to go into Central Admin>Site Settings>Site Actions>Manage Site Features and activate the learning kit feature without any problem (ie not having to force it)

Aug 11, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Hi

I've just installed the BETA and can't get the feature to show up in central admin. I have run the script above but get an erro running the 2nd line. Here is the output from powershell

PS C:\Users\SQLDBO> $centralAdmin = $(Get-SPWebApplication -IncludeCentralAdmini
stration | Where { $_.IsAdministrationWebApplication -eq $TRUE}).Url
PS C:\Users\SQLDBO> Enable-SPFeature -Identity "00057005-c978-11da-ba52-00042350
e42e" -Url $centralAdmin#
Enable-SPFeature : The Feature is not a Farm Level Feature and is not found in
a Site level defined by the Url http://srv-spapp:38104/#.
At line:1 char:17
+ Enable-SPFeature <<<<  -Identity "00057005-c978-11da-ba52-00042350e42e" -Url
$centralAdmin#
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidData: (Microsoft.Share...etEnableFeature:
   SPCmdletEnableFeature) [Enable-SPFeature], SPCmdletException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell.SPCmdletEnableFe
   ature

PS C:\Users\SQLDBO>

Dec 9, 2010 at 4:19 PM
Edited Dec 9, 2010 at 4:40 PM

Hi

Installation went fine, features activated on the team site, but when i go to edit the page and add the webpart i cannot see the slk webpart, please advise.

Thanks In advance

(Please ignore no sooner had i posted this i realised the mistake, enable list webpart ln top level sitecollection,)

May 19, 2011 at 5:50 PM
RichardWillis wrote:

Try running the following powershell commands to force the activation of the feature.

$centralAdmin = $(Get-SPWebApplication -IncludeCentralAdministration | Where { $_.IsAdministrationWebApplication -eq $TRUE}).Url

Enable-SPFeature -Identity "00057005-c978-11da-ba52-00042350e42e" -Url $centralAdmin

It may be easier to save as a .ps1 file and run that.

Richard

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

P.S. Who is the Microsoft guy?

Is this the same command that you would us in SP 2007 to force the activation?

I have the same issue.  The feature 'appears' to be activated but the SLK configuration does not appear under Application Management.  I tried using the link provided in another reply to go directly to the page but received an error.  I suspect that even though the feature appears to be activated it really isn't.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

J