LCDS and reporting scores

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Oct 4, 2010 at 9:14 AM

Hi all,

I'm currently investigating different (preferably free) SCORM creation systems for other departments in my organisation for use with SLK.

I've installed the Microsoft Learning Content Development System and created a few demo SCORM packages and uploaded them to our SLK site. I can run the courses but cannot find a way to capture the scores.

I cannot see where you add weighting to questions or how you even set this up. Is this possible to do with the LCDS or can it only produce simple awareness based training?

If LCDS is no good for this sort of thing can anyone suggest a (free) alternative which is easy to use and can track scores, results etc?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 13, 2010 at 2:05 AM

So far, I've found that LCDS does the best job of working with SLK.  The scoring is a straight percentage and I haven't found a way to weight a question yet.  I have tried the Wondershare QuizCreator but I cannot seem to get it to push the scores to SLK.  I've tried SCORM 1.2 and 2004 packages and neither seems to want to give values to the scoring system.

Oct 13, 2010 at 9:08 AM

Hi Cotto, thanks for the reply.

How do you even report on the score with LCDS?

I’ve created a couple of test projects with some self tests, uploaded them to the SLK site. The SCORM packages launch, I can run through the course but SLK does not record any results.

Any advice on how to use the LCDS with the SLK would be appreciated.

By the way you wouldn’t happen to know how you can default LCDS 2.5 to use Flash instead of Silverlight?

Oct 13, 2010 at 10:04 AM

So far, from my testing, LCDS is the only one that does give me a result in the scoring system.  After the learner completes an assignment you can see the results in the Assignement List Web Part and in the Monitor and Assess view.  The weight option in the assignment system is for the assignment and not on a question by question basis.  For example, I have 5 questions and as a result each question is worth 20%.  The weight is set to 50 in the assignment system.  I take the final quiz and score 3/5.  Final score for the assignment is 60% * 50 = 30.

I haven't noticed if it is using Flash or Silverlight as I have both installed. 

Oct 18, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Hi Cotto

After (eventually) finding some reference to a LMS in the help I discovered that only the following ‘assessment’ options work with a LMS:

•  True False
  • Adventure Activities
  • Sort Games
  • Tile Games
  • Multiple Choice
  • Essay questions 

I tried out these options, uploaded to the SLK site and submitted the completed course but it still didn’t record my score.

I did notice that the SLK reported on a number of errors however: 

• The value "MELL_RESOURCE" of attribute, identifierref, on element <dependency>, is an invalid value. Extra information: The referenced node can not be found.
  • The file platform/interactive/definitions/captionmedia.js does not exist.
  • The file platform/interactive/definitions/captionmedia.xaml does not exist.
  • The file platform/interactive/definitions/adventure.js does not exist.
  • The file platform/interactive/definitions/adventure.xaml does not exist.
  • The file platform/interactive/definitions/sortgame.js does not exist.
  • The file platform/interactive/definitions/sortgame.xaml does not exist.
  • The file platform/interactive/definitions/tileflip.js does not exist.
  • The file platform/interactive/definitions/tileflip.xaml does not exist.
  • The file platform/interactive/definitions/mediaplayer.js does not exist.
  • The file platform/interactive/definitions/mediaplayer.xaml does not exist.

Have you come across these issues before? Could this be the problem?

Coordinator
Oct 22, 2010 at 2:21 AM

Whether the score and answers are recorded in down to the SCORM package itself, not SLK. SLK implements the standard SCORM API, which the package can call to register answers and the score. Some content creation tools need a setting checked to do this and don't do it by default.

Richard

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk