Accessing the courses directly

Topics: Developer Forum
Oct 5, 2010 at 4:57 PM

Is there a way to create links of the courses that I can access directly?

I would to create a seperate page that would list a set of courses for a client or student, where they would be able to click a link to launch a course directly without haven't to assign themselves to the course (the instructor would have already taken care of that).

Could someone explain what I would need to do?

Thanks!

Oct 13, 2010 at 3:12 AM

You cannot just use the My Assignments web part?  If the course files have been assigned by an instructor, the SLK assignment web part should aggregate the data and present the user with the 'To Do' list of activities. 

Coordinator
Oct 20, 2010 at 10:13 AM

With 1.5 you can. There's a new feature "SharePoint Learning Kit - Assign Self". When this is activated there's a new item in the drop down menu "Assign to Self". This will launch the package.

You can also generate the link yourself. It's in the format

~site/_layouts/SharePointLearningKit/Actions.aspx?Action=AssignSelf&ListId={ListId}&ItemId={ItemId}

where {ListId} is the guid id of the list and {ItemId} is the ID of the list item.

Richard

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Oct 20, 2010 at 10:52 AM

Excellent, exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you very much!

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:20 PM

Hi Richard -

I think i spoke too soon.

Here's a stupid question...Where do I find the {ListId} and the {ItemId}?

Thanks

Oct 23, 2010 at 8:39 AM

Hello,

One easy option is to use SPM (http://spm.codeplex.com/). You can view both the list guid and item id. Item id is easy to find from sharepoint itself (just enable in view).

Note: run spm as admin.

AK

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:11 PM

@akhooli

Excellent top on the SPM and enabling the ID in the library...worked like a charm.

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2010 at 2:27 PM

@RicharWillis  or anyone else that can help for that matter :)

"where {ListId} is the guid id of the list"

Which list are you referring to? 

The ID's I tried are:

The Sharepoint Learning Kit- Assignment List Web Part
Document Library
AssigmentList.wepart. 

None of these are able to launch the course directly, the error I recieve is:

An unexpected error has occurred.

Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.
Correlation ID: 85b4318b-d37b-416c-8c4e-c29b909456aa

Here's my format -

~/sites/republic/_layouts/SharePointLearningKit/Actions.aspx?Action=AssignSelf&ListId={47c03bc9-aac7-447d-aac4-33c495c96eea}&ItemId={1}

does the formation of the url look correct?

Any help appreciated.

Oct 23, 2010 at 6:10 PM

I believe the listID is the doc library where your scorms live. If accessing the url directly, remove the curly brackets {}.
Not 100% sure, but if it works I'd be gald to know.

AK.

Oct 23, 2010 at 7:24 PM

@akhooli

No {} in the URL, got it. So pushing along further, there's seems to be a strange anomoly happening.

Now that we have identified the proper ListID, and my braces are removed from the URL, my url, is now in the form of:

/_layouts/SharePointLearningKit/Actions.aspx?Action=AssignSelf&ListId=EF15132A-FB97-442C-8770-F38FD753C377&ItemId=1

I added a "Links" web part to the page and entered my url into the
address field and gave it a description of "test".

When I clicked "Click here to test", the link launches the Course directly, and if I were a student I can see that I can immediately begin my course. Of course it put a big smile on my face.

However after saving and clicking on the newly formed link. It immediately gives me the error:

An unexpected error has occurred.

Troubleshoot issues with Microsoft SharePoint Foundation.
Correlation ID: e2464097-d189-4d32-8789-6ec857ed1d61

I figured perhaps I had a typo so I went back to the link editor
and tried the "Click here to test" link again to see what's up...Sure enough the page launch correctly, no errors, it just works, but when I click the link directly from the Links web part...I get the error.

A very strange anomoly. Any ideas of what's happening?

Slowly gaining progress, thanks!

Oct 23, 2010 at 8:21 PM

Hello,
May be a permission issue on the list (links). Your best friend would be a log viewer (you can filter by correlation id).
A couple viewers: http://ulsviewer.codeplex.com/ or http://sharepointlogviewer.codeplex.com/
I must say I did not test SLK (trying beta 3), have sp2010 server on a laptop with win7 that is part of the domain (disconnected now and some services were under my domain account :-)).
AK.

Oct 23, 2010 at 9:40 PM

@akhooli

Awesome thanks for the tips for the tools available for sharepoint.

Admittedly i'm new to the whole sharepoint concept but slowly working
my way through it.

So I downloaded the log viewer from the second link you provided and located
the correlated error.  It appears I'm missing a ListID??

Unless i'm missing something that I don't understand within the link
i'm passing, it looks like I'm stating the ListId.

here's my link:

/sites/republic/_layouts/SharePointLearningKit/Actions.aspx?Action=AssignSelf&ListId=2d40dd6d-26f4-443a-823e-77c1ab3cd02e&ItemId=1

However here's what the error stating:

Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SafeToDisplayException: The ListId parameter is missing or empty.    at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.QueryString.Get(String queryStringName, Boolean isOptional)     at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.QueryString.ParseGuid(String queryStringName)     at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.ActionsPage.LoadObjects()     at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.ActionsPage.get_SPFile()     at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.ActionsPage.LoadSlkObjects()     at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.ActionsPage.get_Location()     at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.ActionsPage.CreateSelfAssignment()     at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.ActionsPage.AssignToSelf()     at System....

Perhaps RichardWillis can shed some light?

Thanks for all the help guys.

Oct 23, 2010 at 9:46 PM

What's odd is that it does work when I click choose the option to test the link....so the ListId arguement is satisfied.

The logs have no mention of any permissions error.

Oct 24, 2010 at 4:37 AM

Ok guys I finally made some headway.

After pulling my hair out trying to figure out why the ListId string wasn't
being passed, I finally got a course to launch directly from a link!!!

So here's what I originally had:

/sites/republic/_layouts/SharePointLearningKit/Actions.aspx?Action=AssignSelf&ListId=2d40dd6d-26f4-443a-823e-77c1ab3cd02e&ItemId=1

Which for some odd reason only passed the ListId string when launch with the
"Click here to Test" link (odd).

However after removing "&" from the url the link launches both from the
"Click here to Test" and Directly from the page (success)!

Newly formated Link:

So now I can put link hurdle behind me. 

Alas I have another issue to solve;

If I click (using my newly formed link to launch the course directly), the item
multiple times, it will create duplicate entries on the AssigmentList web part.

Is there a way to flag the item to only AssignSelf once, to avoid duplicate
entries for the same user?

Oct 24, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Hello,
The links list accepts & for "&" but apparently SLK is not parsing it if you pass it directly. The assignments web part is the way to go if you want to manage assignments (avoid multiple assignments of same resource to a learner).
However, I am not sure if this applies to the "assign to self case". I will try to test it if I manage to get it to work by Monday.
AK.