Frameset and support for other browsers e.g Firefox

Topics: User Forum
Nov 10, 2006 at 2:47 PM
Hey SLK people,

Is it your intention to make the Frameset(as seen in the BWP Example application) work with browsers other than IE?

It would be really handy to get some idea of the timescales if you have this task on your horizon?

Thanks again,

Mark

Nov 10, 2006 at 10:22 PM
Hey Mark,

It is our intention to get SLK working in other browsers, but we aren't going to be able to fit it into this release. Jay Beavers is looking into the issues and he may be able to comment more on timing etc.

If you have the ability to help investigate and work on it, that would be a big help and an awesome contribution.

Our primary testing matrix for the browser support has been XP with IE6 and 7 and Vista with IE7. We have tried to not be IE specific, but there are obviously issues that need to be fixed. It is painful to me that we won't have this support in v1, but the schedule is tight and hopefully it is only a quick update away after v1.

Thanks,
Mark
Coordinator
Dec 2, 2006 at 12:27 AM
I've taken another look and moving to Sharepoint 3.0 RTM didn't seem to clear up many of the compatibility issues. Unfortunately, my time is a little short right now and my CSS experience is a few years out of date. Is there anyone in the community with Firefox/IE compatibility experience who may be able to lend a hand here?
Dec 20, 2006 at 2:44 PM
Hey,
Since my last post we have had one of our designers look at the various issues the frameset has in Firefox and Opera and the good news is that he has been able to address many, if not all of them.

It is our intention to put these fixes through some internal testing and then release them back via Mark Knight.

A timeframe for this might be realistically the end of January 2007 as our testing department is flat out at the moment.

Mark
Oct 25, 2008 at 5:01 AM
I have just hired Richard Willis from SalamanderSoft Limited to finish the UI updates to the WebPlayer so it supports IE, FireFox, Safari, and hopefully Opera and Chrome as well. Once he has completed the updates and have everything working in the prior mentioned browser, he will move the updates into this projects source code for all to enjoy. I want to take a moment to thank those who have responded to my offer to pay for these updates and especially to thank Richard since he is giving up vacation time to do the work. 

Robert J Collins, 
Brisinger Group, inc.