SLK 1.5 Beta 3 available

Coordinator
Oct 22, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I've just uploaded SLK 1.5 Beta 3 to CodePlex at http://slk.codeplex.com/releases/view/49988.

Changes over Beta 2 are:

Removal of Microsoft.LearningComponents.Compression.MRCI.dll

This was an unmanaged code (C++) dll used for decompressing parts of Class Server content. It's platform version (x86 or x64) was causing problems installing on the other platform.

I've rewritten this in managed code and merged it into Microsoft.LearningComponents.Compression.dll.

I don't know why it was in unmanaged code originally. Presumably the original developers had the code handy from Class Server and included it as was.

Central Administration Configure SharePoint Learning Kit page sets database permissions

The configure SharePoint Learning Kit page in Central Administration wasn't setting the database permissions correctly. It was setting the permissions to the application pool identity of central administration rather than the identity of the Web Application it was configuring for. Presumably it wasn't a bigger problem before as people were using the same user for central admin and their web applications. Best practise is to use different identities for these, and this seems to be more prevalent now.

Error Logging

There were multiple places which errors were logged into the event log. Only one of which I'd found before and updated for SharePoint 2010. I think I've got them all now, and am only using one function to log errors which is compatible with SharePoint 2007 & 2010.

Configure SharePoint Learning Kit Link in Central Admin

Done some more tweaking to try to get to display more consistently. You do need to deploy to one web application before it appears. Have fixed a permissions issue and added an icon for SharePoint 2010. Basic, but better than a broken link. Needs internationalizing though. Any volunteers?

Minor bug fixes

I've slotted in a couple of minor bug fixes

Oct 22, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Hey Richard I don't mind helping out with the project. 

However - just giving you a heads up - the AddSolution.ps1 is giving and error that it's not digitally signed so I had to manually install the SharepointLearningKit.wsp file.

For anyone interested.  Run powershell as Administrator and execute the command:

stsadm -o addsolution -filename SharePointLearningKit.wsp

Oct 23, 2010 at 9:00 AM
Hi Richard,
Great effort, indeed. Looking forward for the stable release.
Quick question: where can one get the dlls:

Microsoft.LearningComponents.Compression.dll
Microsoft.LearningComponents.dll
Microsoft.LearningComponents.MRCI.dll (now merged?)
Microsoft.LearningComponents.Storage.dll 

They are not in the source (or can't find the debug folder). I tried to build the BasicWebPlayer and ended up getting the dlls from
http://lg.codeplex.com/SourceControl/changeset/changes/50172
But prefer to get the most recent ones.
Thank You,
AK

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:43 PM
Edited Oct 25, 2010 at 3:47 PM

@AK I just found some of these files in the GAC after installing the solution. When building a sample project it had error messages for these, until I changed the target framework to .net 3.

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:14 PM

@gladers excellent idea. The GAC copy of Microsoft.LearningComponents.Compression.dll (the one I checked) is 1.4 (vs 1.3.1 for the one I grabbed from LG). I built the webplayer with .net 2 (refused to upgrade and found it was .net 2).

Ak

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:01 AM

When I get to configure sharepoint learning kit link in central admin on moss 2007 ive found that I cant see it.

Ive deployed it across all webapps but still no luck

Nov 2, 2010 at 4:22 PM

@antwade  "When I get to configure sharepoint learning kit link in central admin on moss 2007 ive found that I cant see it"

Can you be a little more specific?  What can't you see, the configuration?

"Ive deployed it across all webapps but still no luck"

Did you activate the SharepointLearningKit feature in the web application?

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2010 at 9:08 AM

I'll make the MLC components available for separate download from the releases page. I'll update their file version, thanks.

shamunda. If you right click on the ps1 file and unblock then you can run it. That's in the latest documentation.

antwade, Can you try running
.\stsadm -o activatefeature -id 00057005-c978-11da-ba52-00042350e42e -url http://laptop01

Richard

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:58 PM

Any idea when the 1.3 release will be issued as 'stable'? I would like to install on a production environment.
Once again, good to see Richard back and answering all questions. Great job!
AK

Nov 11, 2010 at 4:30 PM

@RichardWillis.  Ok cool.  I haven't tried reading the entire doc since what I have been doing so far appears to work with the lab environment.  Once I actually figure out what we're trying

to do then I'll try to follow through on a proper install and see if there are any differences.  For now I'll consider what we have as a last resort install option.

Nov 22, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Hi Richard

I have installed to a sharepoint 2010 standard test environment. All goes OK, except the sharepoint groups for SLK Instructor, learner and observer are not created. eLearning actions etc work OK, but am unable to assign to anyone else without creating appropriate permissions to users. Any ideas?

Thanks

Grant

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:32 PM

@Grants - the SLK Instructor etc are roles and should have been created when you set up SLK. They are not same as SharePoint groups. Check your site for their existence and just assign users/groups to them as needed.
AK