Localization, Reports and AD Groups

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Oct 25, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Hi guys,

Im newer in SLK and some questions appear, please need help.

1. Localization

Im in Brazil and customers need this component in Portuguese, how to localize this component?

2. Reports

SLK provides some reports? Who, when, courses that users did.

3. AD Groups

SLK accessing active directory groups, get users from ad groups.

Thanks,

Bruno

Oct 25, 2010 at 8:42 PM

Hello,
For item 1, may be http://slk.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=LanguagesInLocalization&ProjectName=slk is what you are looking for.
For item 2, may be course manager or Learning Gateway, both seem not supported with SLK 1.5, but you should be able to work out something based on how you set up your lists/libraries and users/learners.
You can assign any AD group the role of teacher or learner (and can do so to sharepoint groups). I saw one of Richard's slides advising against this (under best practices), but did not quite understand it :-)

Quote:
"Create a site per class/learning group
Automatically populate the teacher’s list of classes
Archive class sites each year
Use resource libraries to share content
Avoid using AD or SharePoint groups for permissions
Don’t use large groups
Provision the SLK sites around the teachers’ needs"

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Thanks for reply!

I can assign Learner permission for AD Groups, but when assing course to AD Group, SLK show me error message. This message tell that cannot access the group.

Where i can download the Learning Gateway or Course Manager? This features found in SLK?

TKS!

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2010 at 9:03 AM

1.  Portugese localization. There's currently a language pack for Portugese, but not Brazilian Portugese. Localization is something I need to get on top of. Would you be prepared to do a Brazilian Portugese translation for the project?

2.  Reports is limited at the moment. I will be adding reporting in the SLK 1.6 timeline.

3.  Yes you can use AD Groups. What is the error message that you are getting. The best practises around groups akhooli is refering to is for a school environment where they reuse the same groups each year. I find it easier to maintain giving permissions directly rather than having the group membership change and then making sure last year's and this year's members have the correct permissions on the correct sites.

Richard

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Nov 10, 2010 at 4:58 PM

Hi Richard,

1. Im a very interested in translating for Brazilian Portuguese. Please tell me how to proceed.

2. Waiting for new releases.

3. My environment contain 2,000 users. When accessing a screen of the "Teacher" delegate courses, the SLK show message error about the AD Groups. Im not get the error message at the moment, but i will.

Bruno.

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Hi Richard,

can i make a greek localization ?

if yes could you please send some instructions.

Manos