Windows SharePoint Services 3: SharePoint Learning Kit Error

Mar 4, 2008 at 4:13 PM
Description Description is required
I have more than 5000 (maybe 8000) learners in SLK. When I try to asign one lesson in "E-learning Actions" --> "Assign it to someone else", I have the error above. I know it could be for the elevate number of learners to show, but WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM NUMBER OF LEARNERS IN SLK?, CAN I MODIFY THIS NUMBER?:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 3/4/2008
Time: 3:14:05 PM
User: N/A
Computer: ITSHAREPOINT
Description:
SharePoint Learning Kit Error

System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectoryObjectNotFoundException: The specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted.
at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain.GetDomain(DirectoryContext context)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.DomainGroupUtilities.EnumerateDomainGroup(String groupName, TimeSpan timeout)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkStore.EnumerateDomainGroupMembers(SPWeb spWeb, SPUser domainGroup, Boolean isInstructor, Boolean isLearner, List`1 groupFailuresList, StringBuilder groupFailureDetailsBuilder, Dictionary`2 instructorsByUserKey, Dictionary`2 learnersByUserKey, Dictionary`2 users, List`1 learnerKeys, List`1 learnerGroups, DateTime startTime)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkStore.<>c_DisplayClass6.<GetMemberships>b_5()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.CodeToRunElevatedWrapper(Object state)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c_DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b_2()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkStore.GetMemberships(SPWeb spWeb, IEnumerable`1 additionalInstructors, IEnumerable`1 additionalLearners, ReadOnlyCollection`1& groupFailures, String& groupFailureDetails)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AssignmentPropertiesPage.get_SlkMembers()
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AssignmentPropertiesPage.SetAssignmentProperties()
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AssignmentPropertiesPage.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, the domain is OK, and if I delete a lot of learners in SLK Group and Persons, assignment will be OK.
Coordinator
Mar 10, 2008 at 11:26 PM
There is a timeout on the Active Directory queries in SLK and I suspect what is happening is that you are hitting that timeout before your AD query returns. This timeout has been increased in the 1.3.0.2 release from 1 minute to 5 minutes. Are you running 1.3.0.2? If so, exceeding a 5 minute timeout when querying AD is pointing to a pretty serious performance problem. It may be that either your AD hardware or the way that SLK queries AD is causing you to hit a performance limitation.

I'd hesitate to increase this timeout beyond 5 minutes. Rather, if you cannot find a way to improve your AD query performance through hardware or network changes I would suggest restructing your SLK environment to have fewer learners per server.
Mar 12, 2008 at 11:41 AM

JayBeavers wrote:
There is a timeout on the Active Directory queries in SLK and I suspect what is happening is that you are hitting that timeout before your AD query returns. This timeout has been increased in the 1.3.0.2 release from 1 minute to 5 minutes. Are you running 1.3.0.2? If so, exceeding a 5 minute timeout when querying AD is pointing to a pretty serious performance problem. It may be that either your AD hardware or the way that SLK queries AD is causing you to hit a performance limitation.

I'd hesitate to increase this timeout beyond 5 minutes. Rather, if you cannot find a way to improve your AD query performance through hardware or network changes I would suggest restructing your SLK environment to have fewer learners per server.

Thanks, I have 1.3.0.2 version.
I don´t have permissions to modify AD performance. However, if I search to add users from "Users and Permissions" in SLK, I obtain result in less than 5 seconds from my AD. But display option is limited to 200 users, could it be the problem?

Sorry if can explain better... my english is poor