Flow

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 8, 2010 at 8:12 PM

Hello,

I'm looking of guidance/collaboration for how the slk can be utilized. 
I'm not sure if I'm making the correct statement,
but what I'm trying to achieve is the proper student/instructor work flow.

I would like to setup a simple LMS server using Sharepoint Foundation.
I don't really feel like building out an entire infrastructure for what
I'm trying to achieve and I shouldn't need to.

I've been pulling bits and pieces of information from the Microsoft
Learning Gateway deployment guide but somewhow it doesn't fit with
what I would like to prototype.

At the moment all I have basically is that the user can assign
and take their own courses and submit them.

This is what I would like to try to achieve in prototyping:

For the student what I would like to achieve is:
The the ability to display their score in the AssigmentList
See a report of what they have already completed,
See a curriculum that was assigned to them.

For the teacher:
I would like to achieve the ability in creating a curriculum
Generate reports

Are there any examples someone with an LMS (or similar)
using the SDK?

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I have built several environments like you describe using the SLK. You can achieve what you want with SharePoint but it requires several components in addition to the SLK for SharePoint 2010 (or for SharePoint 2007 for that matter)... i.e. It's not out of the box.

The SLK will support the tracking of assignments - assignment document, status (e.g. completed, in progress,...), grades, etc. The "Assignments" web part provides a teacher and student view with appropriate content.

Prior to the 2010 release of the SLK it included a component called Course Manager that enhanced the assignment tracking / grading and provided some class level reporting as well.  

I contributed a simple Cirriculum Standards toolkit for MOSS2007 http://curricstds.codeplex.com/ but I haven't extended / reviewed it in some time as there was little interest expressed.

To build the environments I mention, I used the extended components for SharePoint 2010 which are availble from HunterStone - info@hunterstone.com.  

Nov 11, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Thanks HarroldPGray.  I'll have a look at your toolkit and see what I can make of it.  I'll also visit your site to get more information.

If anyone else can provide any more examples I would greatly appreciate it.  At the moment the only model I have of a complete lms system based on sharepoint is SharepointLMS which they offer at a ridiculous price.  I would like to participate in providing a complete LMS, or equivalent, to the community which are equivalent to the multitude of PHP or Java based "Out-of-the-Box" LMS' offered in the open-source community.

Nov 11, 2010 at 5:22 PM
Edited Nov 11, 2010 at 5:24 PM

@shamunda I just came across http://shareknowledge-lms.com/ and they say first year free for 100 users. Did not try it, but seems like a comprehensive solution. Hopefully, by next year MS would have bought it and integrated it with SP.
AK