Performance problems with Captivate 5 SCORM packages in SLK

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 6, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Has anybody experienced performance issues with SCORM 1.2 packages of Captivate 5 files playing in SLK?  They take about 1 minute to load and then play while playing within our firewall, but users outside our firewall experience either long load times (3-5 minutes) or time outs?

Questions:

1. Is there a timeout set on the frameset that presents the scorm package to the user? If so, is there a way of adjusting the timeout?
  2. Has anybody experienced this specific problem with the combination of Captivate 5 and SLK (using either Captivate's packaging tool or the ReLoad packaging tool?). If so, any recommendations?
  3. Anything else I should know or am overlooking?

Thanks!

Tom

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Does it load quickly using the supplied "Solitaire" sample?  How large is the Captivate file?  I am using Captivate 5 and have not seen any delay.  I am publishing them as scorm 2004.  We are currently behind a firewall and accessible only through a vpn and my users cross country are not having time issues.  I am guessing if it takes 1 minute for it to load inside your own network, then it is a very large file.  Maybe it should be broken down into smaller sco's.

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:00 PM

We've actually had larger files that did not experience this problem. We ened up breaking them down into smaller SCOs, and advising people to use an ISA connection rather than a VPN connection.