Updating a deployed elearning resource

Topics: User Forum
Jan 17, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Hi, how would one go by updating an already deployed elearning resource? Meaning if you have already uploaded a scorm elearning package, assigned it, and after that you want to make changes to the elearning course and update it on the site?

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2011 at 5:51 PM

This is the reasoning behind having the document library versioned.

If the library isn't versioned then whenever a learner accesses the package it will be the latest version. If they are part way through or are reviewing their answers and the package has changed, it's going to be indertiminate how it's going to react.

If the document library is versioned then a specific version is assigned and the learners always access that one. If the package changes it's a new version which isn't assigned unless the instructor creates a new assingment.

Richard

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Feb 1, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Thanks for your reply RichardWillis, that helped me a bit further. I understood from your message that if versioning is turned off, uploading the updated course package with the same name as previously should work? This doesn't seem to be the case. Once the updated package is uploaded replacing the old one, when end user tries to launch the course from course launcher he gets a message saying that the assigned resource can't be found because it's been modified or deleted.

Even if versioning is turned off, SLK seems to keep some sort of version tracking that's tied on to the uploaded packages. So far the only way I've managed to upload an updated course in a working fashion is creating a whole new assignment for it. But that means that the assignment's user reporting view is empty, because the assignment is completely new. That's not very friendly to those who are trying to monitor users' progress, getting a new report list every time the course has the slightest update done to it.

Any help appreciated :|