SLK 1.3.1 Alpha build has been uploaded

Topics: Project Management Forum, User Forum
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2008 at 3:28 AM
https://www.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=SLK&ReleaseId=9206

There are a few minor issues left to fix before we'll have a release candidate, but this code is feature complete. This is the release that has AD fixes and LG integration and will be part of the upcoming LG Refresh. Please test it out and let us know how it is working for you.
Mar 19, 2008 at 12:18 PM
Edited Mar 19, 2008 at 3:26 PM
Hi Jay,

Will you include the new Dutch translation in this release?
It has been tested with the 1.3.1 alpha, but has problems
http://www.codeplex.com/SLK/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=12131

- versionnumbers of the translatedXMLs NL in 1.3.1 alpha are 1.3.0.2 instead of 1.1.0.0 like in de latest sourcecodes.
- updating any translations in the XML results in a non working generated languagepack.

This has taken us loads of time so far.
Can you find out what causes these problems?

d.gagestein@aps.nl
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2008 at 6:37 PM
I apologize, but I've already let this release slip out far too long for my taste due to personal time limitations. IMHO, we need to get 1.3.1 out the door so I'm holding the bar high for the bugs I'll accept into this release. There are a large number of important bugs in language and SCORM compatibility that have come up and if we took the time to wait for me to fix all of them, 1.3.1 would be delayed another few months at this rate.

If you can find and fix the issue, test, and submit a patch, I'll include it in this release. I want to have a release candidate ready in about a week so that's how much time we have to get it in.
Mar 19, 2008 at 9:46 PM
We do need a bit of help. We don't have time either to find out everything from scrap.
Included in the alpha is a working version of the old Dutch 1.0.799 translation, modified by you.
What version of the LocalizationGuide did you use and what modifications did you make?
I checked the GAC, but that looks OK.
I took your WSP version, extracted the strings, put in the translations, generated languagepack, but it did not work.
So it's not the translation, but a bug somewhere in the code.
Coordinator
Mar 19, 2008 at 10:39 PM
I haven't done any work on localization or translations, Vandana has. I see that she and you have both been active in the Dutch bug discussion. Perhaps the two of you can work something out and get it fit into 1.3.1? I'm still unfamiliar with the localization codebase and process so I'm not going to be much help here.
Mar 21, 2008 at 9:27 AM
I did a quick level pass and with the new build. I don’t find any critical issue in this Alpha build.
I don’t have a full understanding of the tracking service so far, but this feature is very interesting. Is there any sample content and the testing case (user scenario)? I’d like to look into this further.

I’m also trying Japanese pack with my private build. It looks wok fine. However, I found some unlocalized strings about Observer role. Dolfgag already pointed out the resource string issue in Dutch localization. We need to add the records of new resource string from prior build to XML files, and localizer needs to translate those strings. This is a work item for the next localization release.
Dolfgag, if you have VS2008 and latest SLK source code, you’re able to try Language packs. I guess you have an assembly issue between original en-US and localized runtime. I tested Japanese pack below steps;
  • Modify translated XML files in \Slk\Tools\LocalizationGuide\TranslatedXMLs\1041\ folder if needed. (I don’t update any XMLs at this time.)
  • Run makefile in the SLK root folder.
  • Then, the localized binary are in \Slk\Tools\LocalizationGuide\Solution\LanguagePacks\ ja-JP \ folder and the en-US binary is in \Slk\Solution\ folder.
  • Install above en-US runtime (also Enable Sessions, see Readme_131.txt in SLK-1.3.1-Alpha.zip)
  • Install ja-JP runtime. (same step as en-US, AddSolution -> DeploySolution -> EnumSolutions)
  • Specify localized SlkSettings.xml (See 3.2.2. Configure SLK in GettingStarted.pdf or \Doc\LanguagePacks\InstallInstructions.txt.)
It works well on my testing box. Hope this helps you.
Mar 21, 2008 at 11:17 AM
Hi Jay, Vandana and Satoshf,

Thanks for the help.
I have a working version of 1043 now.
http://www.codeplex.com/SLK/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=12131
As Vandana pointed out, the version MUST be 1.1.0.0
I tested changing some other languagepacks and could not reproduce the troubles we encountered.
Maybe (re)changing the languagesettings of the site the SLK is on did the trick?
Remains updating the strings for the observer in the translations.
Thanks again.
Dolf Gagestein
Mar 27, 2008 at 3:29 PM
This is my first time playing with the SLK and i am trying to use the 1.3.1 alpha. I have added the solution to a SharePoint Server farm and have finally managed to get it deployed to one of the web applications. this was accomplished via Central Administration>Operations>Solution management as I have yet to see a link in Application Management for the Learning kit. Also, I cannot seem to enable the kit on the site as there is no Feature listing in Site Settings>Site Features to activate it. I'd like to get this installed and start playing with it. Any help is appreciated.
Apr 17, 2008 at 5:54 PM
The kit is finally installed, but now i get an error reported when i go to the E-Learning actions or in the SLK web part. So far i have been unable to do anything with this.