Specified domain does not exist - error again

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Mar 18, 2008 at 7:57 PM
I'm working with a new installation of SharePoint and in our previous installation we had no problems with the SLK. However, in this new one, I'm getting:

'System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectoryObjectNotFoundException: The specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted.
at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain.GetDomain(DirectoryContext context)'

I'm running 1.3.0.2 x64 with SP1 installed for MOSS 2007. The app pool for my site is running as the same user for central admin. Any ideas? Thanks!
Coordinator
Mar 18, 2008 at 8:26 PM
What are you doing when you see this error?

Can you get a full stack trace for the error from the Application Event Log on the server?

jshuck3 wrote:
I'm working with a new installation of SharePoint and in our previous installation we had no problems with the SLK. However, in this new one, I'm getting:

'System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectoryObjectNotFoundException: The specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted.
at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain.GetDomain(DirectoryContext context)'

I'm running 1.3.0.2 x64 with SP1 installed for MOSS 2007. The app pool for my site is running as the same user for central admin. Any ideas? Thanks!

Mar 19, 2008 at 12:52 AM
It errors when I try to assign an e-learning item to a site. The full stack trace is below. Thanks

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
Event Category: None
Event ID: 0
Date: 3/18/2008
Time: 11:40:10 AM
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:
SharePoint Learning Kit Error

System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectoryObjectNotFoundException: The specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted.
at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain.GetDomain(DirectoryContext context)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.DomainGroupUtilities.EnumerateDomainGroup(String groupName, TimeSpan timeout)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkStore.EnumerateDomainGroupMembers(SPWeb spWeb, SPUser domainGroup, Boolean isInstructor, Boolean isLearner, List`1 groupFailuresList, StringBuilder groupFailureDetailsBuilder, Dictionary`2 instructorsByUserKey, Dictionary`2 learnersByUserKey, Dictionary`2 users, List`1 learnerKeys, List`1 learnerGroups, DateTime startTime)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkStore.<>c_DisplayClass6.<GetMemberships>b_5()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.CodeToRunElevatedWrapper(Object state)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c_DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b_2()
at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkStore.GetMemberships(SPWeb spWeb, IEnumerable`1 additionalInstructors, IEnumerable`1 additionalLearners, ReadOnlyCollection`1& groupFailures, String& groupFailureDetails)
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AssignmentPropertiesPage.get_SlkMembers()
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AssignmentPropertiesPage.SetAssignmentProperties()
at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AssignmentPropertiesPage.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Apr 29, 2008 at 9:30 PM
I am also getting this error. In my case, it was a new SLK install and worked fine with the test users (Ellen Adams, Jeff Hay) until I decided all was working fine, then when I was demo-ing to the user it no longer worked, with the above error.
Jul 16, 2008 at 3:33 PM
I have installed successfully 1.3.0.2 and am having problems assigning SCORM modules to learners by group. I gave the domain\domain users groups read and SLK Learner permissions and all seems to go well but members of this domain group do not see any assignments. This domain group contains 15,000+ members. It seems to me that the group is not corrdctly being enumerated.
Jul 17, 2008 at 12:30 PM

jshuck3 wrote:

please make sure that site permissions involves only security groups and no distrbution groups (like "authenticated users").
Feb 13, 2009 at 4:18 PM
Was this issue ever resolved? I am having the same issues and driving me crazy. The common things here are creating a new SSP and around the same time this error comes up. However i am not positive this is the cause of the error. Also, the error only happens when assigning to other users, but it works fine if i assign to myself.

HELP!!!!!!!

Thanks

Bryan
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2009 at 4:24 PM
Edited Feb 13, 2009 at 4:25 PM
Hi Bryan,

Can you post the error logged in event viewer please. Also what version of SLK are you running?

Richard
SLK Co-ordinator
Feb 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM
here it is....

SharePoint Learning Kit Error

System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectoryObjectNotFoundException: The specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted.

at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain.GetDomain(DirectoryContext context)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.DomainGroupUtilities.EnumerateDomainGroup(String groupName, TimeSpan timeout)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkStore.EnumerateDomainGroupMembers(SPWeb spWeb, SPUser domainGroup, Boolean isInstructor, Boolean isLearner, List`1 groupFailuresList, StringBuilder groupFailureDetailsBuilder, Dictionary`2 instructorsByUserKey, Dictionary`2 learnersByUserKey, Dictionary`2 users, List`1 learnerKeys, List`1 learnerGroups, DateTime startTime)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkStore.<>c__DisplayClass6.<GetMemberships>b__5()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.CodeToRunElevatedWrapper(Object state)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__2()

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.SlkStore.GetMemberships(SPWeb spWeb, IEnumerable`1 additionalInstructors, IEnumerable`1 additionalLearners, ReadOnlyCollection`1& groupFailures, String& groupFailureDetails)

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AssignmentPropertiesPage.get_SlkMembers()

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AssignmentPropertiesPage.SetAssignmentProperties()

at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.ApplicationPages.AssignmentPropertiesPage.OnPreRender(EventArgs e)

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Feb 13, 2009 at 6:57 PM
Also, this may also help. I am having strange issues with account names showing up in the display name. I will post my other post on a different forum here to explain. However, i believe these items are related in some way. So this might be helpful with my SLK issues as well as my SSP name issues. Just a thought.

• I have a very strange issue happening. There are a handful of users within my sharepoint MOSS07 environment that are showing up as the account name in place of their display name. Here are a few points to mention.<o:p></o:p>
  • - We are on MOSS07
    - We have recently rebuilt our SSP
    - We DO NOT have a synch job between AD and MOSS07
    - There are only a handful of users that this happens to out of thousands and i can not find any consistency.<o:p></o:p>
  • With those points said, the one thing i have found is that the users that show up like this are actually, mysteriously, somehow placed in the SSP user profiles area. Again, we do not have a synch job set up so how they are getting there is strange alone. If i remove them from the User profiles and then delete from the site collection..... then readd them to the site collection. Everything is fine..... until some job runs in the evening and pulls in the same users plus an occasional random one.<o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2009 at 3:40 AM
Hi Bryan,

What Active Directory groups have SLK Learner permissions on the site you are assigning to?

Richard
Coordinator
Apr 2, 2009 at 2:55 PM
Just resolved this exact error for a customer. In his case it was because he had BUILTIN\Administrators group in a SharePoint group with SLK Learner permissions. The code will look for the domain BUILTIN which is obviously not going to exist.

I've added an issue to gracefully handle groups like this, even if it's just to ignore them. Vote on it if you think it's important.
http://slk.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=21901