SlK in hosted Sharepoint

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jan 27, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Hello

Does anyone know if I can install SLK in a hosted Sharepoint 2010 or I can use it only on premise Sharepoint Server?

Thank you

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Foran,

Technically the SLK could be installed in a Hosted environment....

However - I've explorered this a bit and find that hosted environments typically will not give you access to / nor allow you to run - the necessary utilities with which to properly install all the SLK components - (for example stsadm / gacutl - to install components to the GAC and Sharepoint. There's also some modifications to Central Admin functionality as well). Maybe someone else out there has a different experience with a particular Hosting service?

Options - to get it off premise - lease an entire "server" - and you can then can (have to!) do your own setup / management. SQL / SharePoint / AD / Backups ...

Looking forward to other comments to see if anyone has accomplished this.

Harold

Coordinator
Jan 28, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Harold is correct. It's highly unlikely that a hosted environment would let you have the permissions to install SLK.

I have been thinking about if it's possible to convert to a sandbox solution, but haven't been able to come up with any solution for that yet.

Richard

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Jan 28, 2011 at 6:00 PM

Foran,

You may want to contact SharePoint hosting vendors and ask about a dedicated solution. It is more expensive than shared, but if you want to install custom apps/tools dedicated hosting may be the only option. 

Jill