Unable to use domain/server groups

Topics: User Forum
Mar 23, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Recently implemented SLK and I love it - great work!  But I'm having an issue right now when trying to use domain groups that hopefully someone can assist with.  I cannot seem to use Domain Users and Authenticated Users for learners - and I also cannot seem to use any local or domain groups.  I can however add in individual AD accounts with no issues.  So I'm wondering if it could be a permssion problem -- are there any special permissions are requred to be able to enumerate these groups?  All I'm really trying to do is allow all AD users to act as Learners - so if I'm going about this the wrong way please let me know.

The error messages are as follows (I'm not finding any mention of anything within Event Viewer):

The list of instructors or learners may be incomplete because the following groups could not be read:
  • BUILTIN\administrators : Could not get the members of group <SID=<SID REMOVED>>.
  • <DOMAIN REMOVED>\domain users : Cannot use Domain Users group for assigning work in SLK.
  • <DOMAIN REMOVED>\sharepoint_admins : Could not get the members of group <SID=<SID REMOVED>>.
  • NT AUTHORITY\authenticated users : Cannot use NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated users group for assigning work in SLK. More information may be available in the server event log.
  •  

Looking forward to any direction or assistance that anyone can provide.  Thank you very much.

Coordinator
    Mar 27, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    Edited Apr 5, 2011 at 7:35 PM

If you try 1.5.1 which I've just uploaded to http://slk.codeplex.com/releases/view/60708 it should log the cause of the problems in the event log. (I've got a rubbish connection at the moment so the upload may be delayed a week).

Domain Users is not supported as the membership of the group in held differently in Active Directory.

NT AUTHORITY\authenticated users is not supported as that is a virtual group and doesn't have any members, it just means anyone who has been authenticated.

Richard

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Coordinator
    Apr 5, 2011 at 2:24 PM

I've uploaded 1.5.1 now.

Apr 5, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Thanks Richard! It seems though that I don't have access to the location that you provided - "I'm sorry, but you tried to access a page or operation that is not permitted with your current credentials. For example, you need to be a member of a project to edit its work items."

Coordinator
    Apr 5, 2011 at 7:35 PM

Sorry, should be http://slk.codeplex.com/releases/view/60708. Copied the url at the wrong time.

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Got it - thanks!  So I went ahead and installed 1.5.1 and now get three errors in the event log when it fails to process the groups.

The following error x2 (I assume one for each of the failed groups):

SharePoint Learning Kit Error

System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryServicesCOMException (0x80072030): There is no such object on the server.

at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind(Boolean throwIfFail)
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.Bind()
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry.get_IsContainer()
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntries.ChildEnumerator..ctor(DirectoryEntry container)
       at System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntries.GetEnumerator()
       at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.DomainGroupUtilities.FindDomain(String dnsName, String namingContext)
       at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.DomainGroupUtilities.ProcessUser(SearchResult result, String distinguishedName)
       at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.DomainGroupUtilities.ProcessUser(SearchResult result, String distinguishedName, List`1 users)
       at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.DomainGroupUtilities.ProcessSearchResults(DirectorySearcher searcher, List`1 users)
       at Microsoft.SharePointLearningKit.DomainGroupUtilities.Expand(DirectoryEntry group)

followed by

SharePoint Learning Kit Error

Domain group "BUILTIN\administrators": Could not get the members of group <SID=<SID REMOVED>>.

Domain group "<DOMAIN REMOVED>\sharepoint_admins": Could not get the members of group <SID=<SID REMOVED>>.

May 13, 2011 at 11:33 PM

We had the same problem here. After many hours we finally managed it was related to us using 4th level domain (for example demo.ad.company.com). The only easy way to fix was editing file EnumerateDomainGroups.cs at 463 line. I've hardcoded name full DC of our domain in the string. That solve the problem for us.

Coordinator
    Jul 31, 2011 at 2:27 PM

I've made some more changes in enumerating domain groups in version 1.5.2. I don't know if that will fix this exact problem though.

Richard

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Nov 1, 2011 at 3:28 AM

Hello,

I have version 1.5.2 installed.  Love the features.  I'm wondering, though, if there's an update on using local or domain groups (like others, I can set up individual accounts, but not NT groups).  Also, is there any information on available reporting features (date assignment was submitted, by whom, scores, etc.)?

Thanks, in advance, for any assistance.  

And, thanks to Richard (SLK Coordinator) for your work!

Coordinator
    Nov 14, 2011 at 1:26 PM

Local and Domain groups (except Domain Users) should work.

I'm adding some reporting in 1.7.

Apr 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM
    Edited Apr 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Just use an email enabled group to assign an elearning to group of users...

Thanks

Achille EBOULE