BBC JAM SCORM

Topics: User Forum
Nov 28, 2006 at 8:22 PM
I've contacted the BBC about acquiring JAM as SCORM content. They advised that Microsoft are testing the BBC SCORM package with SLK for compatibility. Can anyone provide any further info?
Nov 28, 2006 at 9:35 PM
So far we have been able to test two BBC packages and they appear to work well in SLK. (One has a very nice song that David likes to sing around the office.) We recently received permission to test several additional packages and I expect to receive those soon.
Jan 4, 2007 at 9:56 AM
Thanks for the reply Mark.

I've been speaking to BBC about acquisition of SCORM content for schools. I've been informed that the vanilla packages need to be modified to work in SLK. Can you tell me how I might go about acquiring this content? The BBC say that content is usually provided to commercial VLE/LMS providers for supply to schools. Is it the same for Microsoft? Can I acquire the content from MS when SLK goes RTM?

Thanks
Mike
Jan 4, 2007 at 10:54 PM
There were a few modifications that make the packages work a bit better in SLK and I imagine other SCORM 2004 LMSs. I will be meeting with the BBC at BETT to pass along my notes and recommendations and can talk with them about publishing those changes. Overall, they were pretty minor SCORM 2004 sequencing and navigation changes.

I am not sure how you should go about acquiring the BBC content. I don't believe Microsoft will be distributing it, but I will check with MikeHines to see if he knows anything. I imagine you will have to go back to the BBC to see what their distribution channels are.
Jan 5, 2007 at 12:02 AM
I don't believe that Microsoft will be re-selling/re-distributing any BBC Jam content. If you are going to be at BETT in London this January, the BBC will have a booth there and will be ready to talk about distribution.

Sorry I can't just send you guys the stuff. It's really nice material.

--Mike

Jan 5, 2007 at 5:08 AM
Thanks for your replies. The impression I got from the BBC was that it would be distribute by either companies producing VLE/Learning Platform software, or by RBCs/authorities. Neither of which seem to know much about it. Maybe it's just early days. I shall ask at the BBC stand at BETT.

If you happen to hear anything regarding distribution during your conversations with BBC, I'd appreciate an update.

cheers
Mike