Remote BLOB Storage (RBS)

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 13, 2011 at 12:19 AM
Edited Sep 13, 2011 at 12:20 AM

Does anyone integrate Remote BLOB Storage (RBS) in a Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 environment with Learning kit?

Our learning modules include large video files up to 150mb in MOSS 2007 content database, our infrastructure team is agaist this practice strongly. we are upgrading our application to SP2010 at the moment. we are thinking to use this new feature from SP 2010.

Another production we heard from Tech ED is AvePoint. Does anyone use this product before. It looks like very similar as RBS. But RBS is free from Microsoft.

Coordinator
Oct 26, 2011 at 3:52 PM

I've never tried it, but it's my understanding that it's handled at the data access layer, so the api SLK uses wouldn't know it happening and function as normal. I've love if anyone could shed any more light on it.

Having said that, I don't think that SLK is going to perform well with files that size as they will need downloading to the user before playing.

Richard Willis

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Oct 28, 2011 at 6:46 AM

Thanks Richard,

There are some video and audio files embedded in the training module (.zip) file. it is for accessibility that we have to comply.

I saw a article that the zip file is unzipped in the server side, the individual files are downloaded to client machine when required. for example, if a training .zip file contains 10 activities, each activity contains a flash file with 10MB, the total .zip file will be 100mb, client need to download the current activity (10mb) only before playing. Is it true?

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM

Yes that's correct, the individual items are donwloaded individually.