Bulk Assignment of Learning Resources?

Topics: Project Management Forum, User Forum
Oct 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Hello,
I've had a quick look around for an answer but not spotted one as of yet, I'm hoping you kind people can help?

I'm trying to assign, assignments on mass to a site on SP 2010. It' easy enough to do them one at a time...
Selected the resources .zip file > click "E-Learning Actions" or "Assign To site" > Pick the users > and your done.

The hard part is getting it to assign a whole group of resources at once. The maths department school were building this for has hover 500 resources alone so it's going to take an age!
Is there any way to to this on mass or apply some sort of template to the resouces on mass?

Thank you :)

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2011 at 5:07 PM

There isn't any way to assign a group of resources at once at the moment.

I'm also not sure of the need for it. If you are trying to assign 500 resources at once are you just trying to make them available to everyone to take when they want to. I can't imagine a teacher wanting to grade 500 assignments at the same time. 

Depending on the use case self-assigning might be the way ahead so that the learners can access them as they require. Version 1.7 adds extra support for this allowing the playing, but recording the results, of packages directly, including a web part to directly access them.

Richard Willis

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Feb 2, 2012 at 9:35 AM
Edited Feb 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Thanks for getting back to me. Sorry for the (very) late reply, I must have missed the auto email saying you had responded.

The reason I asked about multi-assign is unfortunately a lot of the SCORM content we use doesn't support marking. It's 'dumb' content that get's used more as a guide than assessment.

As crazy as it sounds (it would seem from what we've seen) a lot of education software providers in the UK use SCORM as an easy way of deploying content on a site and to help avoid integration issues. Some have marking built in but it's not a key feature but any means.
I can understand why they've still used SCORM as well... It would be a nightmare for site admins to create 100's of pages each with a link to an individual game/file for the kids to work on. It would be even worse for them to try and create there own pages to sit within SharePoint, as they would have to create one for every other VLE as well. Zipping it up in to a neat SCORM package makes deployment a lot easier.

On the other hand, I completely agree with you that no teacher would want to/should have to mark huge volumes of work but, as our content isn't being marked, it puts us in a bit of a pickle... The latest VLE content I've got to sort is for Geography and I'm now faced with assigning 165 assignments to the entire cohort. Due to the shear number of kids we have on role it takes around 3-5 minutes to assign each assignment. I can have multiple tabs open allowing me to assign more than one at one but only a few as regardless of browser it's a heavy process and can easily kill your browser once you get up to 7-8 tabs. The real kicker is I'm then faced with doing this all again as soon as another kid is added the role.

However, if I could assign say... a whole document library's worth of assignments in one go i.e. only have to pick the 'teachers' and 'learners' once and apply it to all of the assignments in the library it would save me days of work.

To me self-assigning was the answer and we did try but it was far to complex for the kids to grasp / the kids aren't very good doing things unless it's served up on a plate for them.

Cheers :)

Coordinator
Feb 7, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Version 1.7 has a web part which allows the learners to just play the content without any assignment taking place. Of course with this approach there's no reporting available on who has viewed the work.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM
Edited Feb 9, 2012 at 9:57 AM

That sounds fantastic!
I can see 1.6 is available as a beta now, but what sort of time scale are we looking at for v1.7?

Thank you :)

Coordinator
Mar 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I'm going to release 1.6 officially after Easter and put 1.7 into Beta then.