SharePoint Learning Kit 1.6 Beta Released

Coordinator
Oct 25, 2011 at 4:54 PM

I’ve just released SLK 1.6 to Beta. This has actually been ready to go for a while, several months in fact, but I haven’t managed to find the time for documentation of the new functionality. I’ve now taken the decision to release it without the documentation so that people can at least start using it and feeding back any problems.

The main changes are:

• Better handling of not quite fully compliant SCORM content
  • Textual grading as well as numeric (optional) e.g. ABC type grades
  • Quick assignment type. That is assignments not based on a document. This should make it much easier to use for a homework diary, especially if the assignment is along the lines of "Read chapters 1 & 2 of book y."
  • Email alerts. The most requested extra functionality.
Coordinator
Oct 26, 2011 at 4:40 PM

Just bumping to top of list.

Nov 7, 2011 at 3:34 PM

When I try adding a quickassign web part, nothing shows up on the page.  If I view it with sharepoint designer, I get the following error:

Error Rendering Control

an unhandled exception has occured.  Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

The other web part shows up fine and I assume there are only two.

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2011 at 1:49 PM

The quick assign web part only show by default if you are an SLK Instructor on the site. If you put the page in edit mode you will see it whether you are an instructor or not. There's also a property to make it always visible.

Thanks for the report of the error when editing via SharePoint Designer. I've confirmed that error and will fix.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:27 AM

Just installed the Beta 1.6...

For some reason when I add the Quick Assign web part and try to add an assignment it takes forever to load and then it takes me to an "Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Web Page"...

I looked in the logs and I can't find anything to reference this type of error/behaviour...

On a side note how does 1.6 send the reminder emails, does it use a timer job or something else?

Dec 9, 2011 at 5:48 AM

Hi Richard,

I hav downlaoded the slk 1.6 beta version. I am already having the version 1.4.

In order to upgrade , i went throught the geeting started document . under upgrading section, we have line as "Upgrade SharePoint Learning Kit as follows:1. Copy the Install directory from the SLK drop to your install drive.".

please gudie me where do i get this   Install directory from SLK Drop.

I cant understand what iot is actually meaning.

Please reply me and help me in understading , so that i van go ahead in upgrading the SLk.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Subha

Coordinator
Dec 17, 2011 at 7:02 AM

Hi Subha,

The getting started document is out of date now. To upgrade follow the instructions in installation.txt. For the database, you will need to apply the 1.5 update script then the 1.6 one.

Richard

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I am also having the "page cannot be displayed" problem with the quick assignment web part. This is a fresh install of SLK 1.6beta on a new SharePoint Enterprise 2010 server. As far as I can see assigning a document to the site works fine.