Capacity Planning for SLK

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
May 21, 2008 at 5:42 PM
Has anyone done a Capacity Planning study of SLK built on SharePoint Services? my customer is insterested in knowing how to determine the number of users based on a hardware scenario.
Please let me know if you had similar situation and share your experiences.
Thanks,
Luis
May 22, 2008 at 10:35 PM
Hey there,

We have done some studies around this and based on some basic user scenarios (i.e. e-learning actions > assign to self > begin assignment) SLK does scale with additional hardware but puts quite a fair load on the front-end servers.

We saw one front-end web server and one SQL database support approx 100 concurrent users hitting the server hard (~400 req/sec). Adding another front-end (w/ load balancing) boosts the number of concurrent users to 350.

Keep in mind these are concurrent users repeatedly assigning content to themselves and launching/loading the content in the SCORM player. This is probably not a typical situation for anyone to have a user doing this but I think it simulates the heaviest possible useage on the site effectively.

Nick
May 26, 2008 at 9:38 AM
what is the hardware that can be used in your study?
Jun 2, 2008 at 4:16 PM
  • 2 web front-ends: HP DL385, 4x2.2Ghz, Dual Core, 8gb RAM, WinServ 2003 SP1 - load balanced using F5 BigIP
  • 2 sql back-ends: HP DL585, 4x2.4Ghz, Dual Core, 32GB RAM, WinServ 2003 SP1 - clustered
Feb 9, 2009 at 10:50 PM
Hi, any other study on this matter? I receive another request from other customer and is asking me some sample of hardware configuration and number of users supported.
Thanks,
Luis