Large # of temp folders

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Feb 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Apologies if this has been asked before but I searched for related information with no result.

Yesterday we experienced an issue with zero free disk space on the servers hosting our SharePoint SLK site. A folder on the servers at C:\Windows\Temp\SLK_PC contains over 8GB of data, and is quickly eating up the few GBs left of free space on the C drive of the server. There are close to 10,000 folders and over 120,000 files in this folder

We believe the SLK creates a folder in the temp directory for every single user of the SLK which keeps a copy of their quizzes and the status of their quizzes. Is this correct?

Can these folders be moved to a directory on a different drive with more capacity on the server?

If we changed where this lives by modifying the system environment variable for Windows Temp Folder, would the system lose track of the status of all of the quizzes written so far? We can't have any impact to the user experience.

Any help or direction in this is much appreciated.

tak

Coordinator
Feb 7, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Edited Feb 7, 2012 at 7:58 PM

This is the package cache. The zip file for each assignment is unpackaged onto the file system to avoid needing to unpack it for every request. They should get deleted after a while. I wrote a blog post covering this a few year ago at

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk/index.php/2009/05/how-is-e-learning-content-sent-to-the-user-in-slk/

There's a couple of settings in the SlkSettings.xml config file which control it:

PackageCacheExpirationMinutes which determines how long before the cache is deleted and

PackageCacheLocation which controls the location.

Richard

SLK Coordinator

http://blog.salamandersoft.co.uk

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:12 PM
Edited Feb 8, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Thanks Richard, the quick response is appreciated!  

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I'd now like to confirm my understanding of the caching and solution required.

• Caching is the process of unpacking the zip file learning package so that subsequent showings will be speedier.
  • Q1 - A cache is created one per package per user? So a given user could have multiple package caches active at anytime? We have a user base of 25,000+ and a package count of 150+ so it's conceivable with multiple package caches per user that the SLK is operating as designed and caches are being removed per the 3 day default setting.
  • Q2 - The default PackageCacheExpirationMinutes is 3 days, or 4,320 minutes?
  • Q3 - The cache only contains the package and nothing from the user input? So it's safe to delete and would be cached again for the user if required?
  • Q4 - The SLKSettings.xml file can be changed on the fly? In otherwords if we changed the PackageCacheLocation, then all required caches would be rebuilt in the new location as the user accessed them?

In summary, we check the PackageCacheExpirationMinutes setting and if it's set to 3 days then all is expected and we just don't have enough storage for the current cache location. And if we change the cache location and delete the old caches, nothing will break and the new caches will be created for the users.

As always, thanks very much for the support!

tak

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Thanks Richard, richI'm using BasicWebplayer.I don't look slkSetting.xml?