Course Manager install not creating database

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Jul 15, 2008 at 6:04 PM
Folks

I successfully installed (and reinstalled) SLK 1.3.1 alpha and configured it to our server: servername\SQLExpress; user=sa; password=xxx and database SharePointLearningKit.  The install failed and the database was not created without the added user and password in the configuration box.

I then installed the CourseManager, apparently successfully. However the configuration step does not appear to be successful - the settings are not retained (as in the SLK panel), and there is no database created on the server.

1.  I tried with and without the user and password parameters (which worked for the SLK)
2.  I tried to follow the documentation and used "servername\SQL Express", although the server is "servername\SQLExpress" (no space)
3.  I tried to create a new database for the Course Manager, and also to reuse the SharePointLearningKit database name. No joy.
4.  I can add the Course Manager Pages webpart to the root of the site collection for the  webpart, but the two links to Plan and Assign or Monitor and Assess give errors
5.  Those two webparts exist and can be manually added to subsites, but that doesn't work
6.  The registry does not get an entry for SLKCourseManager.

The server is Windows Server 2003 successfully running WSS 3.0 and with SLK 1.3.1 alpha successfully installed.

Any hints?

richard.beck@quinnipiac.edu
Jul 28, 2008 at 9:09 PM
Hi,
I am running into a similar scenario, but am using SQL Server 2005 instead of Express. I created a discussion post about this on Thursday 7/24 re: the error I get when I go into CA to perform the SLK config. Today, I went into SQL Server Manager Studio to look at the SLK database, only to find that there isn't and SLK db listed. I'm not sure why and I haven't been able to find any other discussion posts that explain. Please advise.

~beargal