SLK Questions from a SharePoint novice

Topics: User Forum
Jan 2, 2007 at 8:28 PM
Here are some general questions about the SLK that I couldn't find answers to in the forum. If anyone has experience using stand-alone Learning Management Systems, your viewpoints may prove especially helpful since that is where I'm coming from. I have very little experience in SharePoint.

-What is the depth of support for SCORM data model? Everything?
-What is the reporting mechanism that you anticipate managers using?(anything out of the box?)
-What are some of the administrative interface features?
-How do assigned courses surface in SharePoint for the learners?

I’m trying to get an idea of how SLK works when compared to other LMS apps before I ask our IT dept to get involved. Good luck at BETT everyone! Have fun!

-Mike
Jan 4, 2007 at 11:18 PM
What is the depth of support for SCORM data model? Everything?
SLK is certified SCORM 2004 2nd edition conformant and supports the entire SCORM 2004 datamodel. It also supports the entire SCORM 1.2 datamodel with a couple very minor exceptions, which will be outlined in the V1 release notes.

What is the reporting mechanism that you anticipate managers using?(anything out of the box?)
SLK does not include an out-of-the-box reporting tool. There is some sample reporting code in the SLK SDK and there are community members and partners looking at creating reporting solutions for SLK.

What are some of the administrative interface features?
I'm not sure exactly what you mean here by administrative features, so you may have to clarify a bit more if my response isn't what you are looking for. SLK is deployed as a SharePoint WSS v3 Solution, which leverages the new deployment features in SharePoint v3 (scheduling, deploying and retracting across entire farm, easy upgrades, etc.). Administration and configuration of SLK is handled on a per-site-colection basis through a single SharePoint administration page. It is through this page that SharePoint is configured for a specific SharePoint site collection, which associates the site to a SLK database, establishes the permissions for identifying instructors and learners on those sites, and sets any modifications to the SLK settings file.

How do assigned courses surface in SharePoint for the learners?
SLK installs a single Assignment List Web Part. The ALWP can be placed on any site in a site collection configured to use SLK, and it will display a list of all assignments for the current user. The user selects an assignment title from the list to access additional information and launch the assignment. The web part properties can be modified to show all assignments in the database, or only assignments assigned to the current site. By default, if the user is an instructor on the current site, then it will show instructor assignments, otherwise, it will show learner assignments.

Hope this helps.