Assignment URLs

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Aug 7, 2008 at 9:36 PM
To get content crawling working with the Learning Gateway 2007, where Windows authentication (NTLM or Kerberos) is required to be disabled, the only recommendation I have found that works is to extend the LG portal to a new web application on another port on which Windows authentication is enabled and switch alternate access mapping to make the new application the default. All works OK, both access to the LG and content crawling, until one gets to the SLK. Assignments can be created and listed but any attempt to access the actual assignment is problematic because it seems to re-home the assignment URL's to the default web application rather than using that used to access the assignment lists. e.g. I access an assignment list at https://myserver/schools/myschool/classes/myclass/pages/assignments.aspx but when I drill down to an individual assignment the assignment URL is switched to http://myserver:25539/schools/myschool/classes/myclass/_layouts/SharePointLearningKit/Grading.aspx?AssignmentId=1 (where the extended web app is on port 25539). This is potentially a serious problem - does anyone have a solution or at least a pointer as to where to look in the source to address this?
Aug 10, 2008 at 6:33 PM
It seems SLK version 1.3.0.2 does not have this problem, so I just have to modify LG to use this version .....
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2008 at 5:19 AM
Try 1.3.1 instead, that should make life much easier.  OK, much easier may be overstating the case -- but at least 1.3.1 has the Observer role that LG needs -- 1.3.0.2 does not.

 - jcb
Aug 26, 2008 at 9:56 AM
Thanks Jay - I have since got it running + implemented & extended drooke's dropbox + expanded the observer role specifically for non-elearning content. Currently testing but are they changes you may want to put back into the core?
Coordinator
Aug 26, 2008 at 4:14 PM
Sure, I'd love to see what you've done.  Can you submit a patch and I'll take a look?
Sep 24, 2008 at 8:22 PM
I am experiencing exactly the same problem with 1.3.0.2 but wasn't quite clear on the implications of the comments above. It seems that culverhay is saying that there is some sort of work-around and it would be nice to know if that was something that I could replicate. Jay is suggesting using 1.3.1 - does that mean that this issue is fixed in 1.3.1 RC?

--Steve
Sep 25, 2008 at 6:31 PM
Edited Sep 25, 2008 at 7:03 PM
I've submitted a patch (& full source) for the drop-box/observer role changes and will shortly do the same for the LG changes. Sorry it's taken soooo long to get around to it! Would welcome any comments, testers....

In response to soakb, the code I submitted works against the LG version I'll upload shortly. These work fine with the scenario mentioned in my initial posting above.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Just noticed that the assembly versions on which these changes and therefore the associated LG changes are based are in fact 1.3.0.2 NOT 13.1 or 1.3.2 as iI indicated on the patch upload. The patch is however based on differences between the current source release and includes changes which I think brings it up to the 1.3.1 level with perhaps one exception, that of SlkApi.cs where the IsInRole method is not provided.  
Nov 19, 2008 at 5:36 PM
Edited Nov 20, 2008 at 1:54 AM
When I try applying this patch I get the following
"error: The patch XML appears to be malformed"

What SLK version should this patch be applied to? 1.3.1RC?

I also downloaded the full source "patch" and that seems to work except when I upload the custom list template to the gallery, it does not show up on the create page. I believe the problem is the one described here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825215. Does any one know what type of site the template was created on?

-Todd
Nov 20, 2008 at 6:02 PM
I had the same problem when trying to use the patch. Once the list template was loaded in the gallery, it did not show up as a list. After some investigation, I agree that the site template or definition is missing, which prevents the list from showing up as an available template.
Nov 20, 2008 at 6:22 PM
Sorry, but I don't have time to look at the patch problem currently. The list template was probably created on one of the LG site templates hence your problems. All you need is a custom list with usual default columns (Title, Created By, Modified By) plus three drop box specific columns:

Assignment ID - single line of text max 16 characters, requiring information and default value of text (blank)
Learner Assignment ID - single line of text max 16 characters, requiring information and default value of text (blank)
Learner Name - single line of text max 255 characters, not requiring information and default value of text (blank)

List needs to be called SLKDropBox or (I think) SLK Dropbox for it to be recognised and needs to accept attachments. 
 
Nov 25, 2008 at 9:24 PM
OK, I got this working after working through a few issues:

1) The output path for the SlkDll project's Debug configuration had been customized to output directly to a bin directory under InetPub. So if you just use nmake as I did to build the SLK, it will put the updated binaries in there but not in the debug version of the SLK package. This results in an error "unknown server tag slk:SlkAttachmentsLobby" or some such when you attempt to do an assignment. I worked around this by simply copying the DLL's to the GAC.

2) Don't put spaces in the field names, e.g. use "AssignmentID" not "Assignment ID" (unless you want to modify the source code to match of course....)

3) The image files attach.gif and DropBox.gif need to be manually copied from C:\Dev\SLK\Slk\App\Images to <12Hive>\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\SharePointLearningKit\Images