Migration to SLK 1.3

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Aug 18, 2008 at 2:45 PM
hi all,
i need to know how to migrate data and assignments to SLK 1.3.
Thank you in advance,
Bye
Aug 20, 2008 at 12:08 PM
The official line on this is that you cannot migrate!  Reading the documentation - delete the database and recreate!

This has been raised with the project team but all is quite - not a very good story I agree.

Andrew

Aug 21, 2008 at 12:10 PM
Let me clarify you my investigation and what i have reached cuz i feel that there is a misundertanding. i have SLK 1.0 and i have teachers and assignments. then i upgraded the SLK to 1.3 without uninstalling the SLK 1.0, just upgrade. while upgrading, i didn't let it create a new database and i just entered the name of the old DB. after upgrading completed i found my assignment with all the data. so now am not sure if i did something wrong or that you are talking about something else that you meant that i can't migrate or what?

Thank you
Tony
Coordinator
Aug 25, 2008 at 6:32 PM

The database schemas between SLK versions have changes.  There is no tool that will take data in the old database schema and move it into the new database schema.  If you add a newer version of SLK on top of the old database, you will have problems.

This issue is captured in [workitem:14988] and has 20 votes, so it is a very often requested feature.

Coordinator
Aug 27, 2008 at 3:41 PM
I've just added patch 1738 to address this. It's a database script to upgrade SLK (1.0, 1.301, 1.302 and version which came with MLG) to version 1.31.

It's not extensively tested, do not use it on a live system without testing in a test environment first. Backup your databases before running. No guarantees this will work, I'm not responsible if it hoses your system etc etc.

Give it a go and let me know if it works for you.

Regards,
Richard

SalamanderSoft Limited
http://www.salamandersoft.co.uk
Active Directory & SharePoint provisioning